Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I want to put a set of snow tires on my Subaru Impreza Outback for over the winter. The current tires are a P205/R60 15". My buddy had a set of used snow tires and they are a P205/R65..

Can anybody tell me what the difference is. I'm thinking the R65 are a little larger???? Any problems with using them for the winter months?

Thanks,

UMT

Edited by UMT

Ok, I found a tire size comparison and it appears that it is a slightly larger diameter and will probably show 2 MPH slower than the stock tire. Other than that, I don't see a problem with the other dimensions.

Anyone see any problems?

I want to put a set of snow tires on my Subaru Impreza Outback for over the winter. The current tires are a P205/R60 15". My buddy had a set of used snow tires and they are a P205/R65..

Can anybody tell me what the difference is. I'm thinking the R65 are a little larger???? Any problems with using them for the winter months?

Thanks,

UMT

the difference between r60 and r65 tires in that width is about 3/8 of an inch, a little more actually. that doesn't sound like a lot, but the difference between legacy and outback tires is about 3 times as much. i'm pretty conservative about what size to try, but i would put my fingers in between the tire and the spring perch, strut spring, and see if it has 1/2 inch of room. it probably does, but best to check.

or just bolt your friend's wheels onto your car and try them.

what car was he driving them on? a subaru?

PS: i have heard that your ideal snow tire is a little narrower than your hiway tire. you want the snow tire to cut into / through the snow to the pavement and not ride up on top of it. but i don't really know.

Edited by johnceggleston

I believe they originally came off or were intended to go on a Ford Taurus... It was my friends sons car and he got in an accident and I don't think they actually made it onto the car.

When I first looked at them, I thought they were they exact same size as my Suby tires but just noticed the difference tonight.

Getting old, eyesight going to hell!

I've examined the specs but I'll check the things you mentioned.

They'll probably fit fine. The OBS has taller struts than the regular Impreza to fit larger tires from the factory. That small of a difference should fit easily. If it were a 215 65, you might be pushing it.

2mph difference in the speedometer is like the difference between a brand new tire and a worn out one of the same size, no harm no foul there.

PS: i have heard that your ideal snow tire is a little narrower than your hiway tire. you want the snow tire to cut into / through the snow to the pavement and not ride up on top of it. but i don't really know.

Yes, ideally, you want narrower tread width to get higher ground pressure for the snow tires, so they'll press through the snow down to something more solid. In most conditions.... if you are trying to offroad through big snowdrifts in the spring, you want wide tires to float on top of the snow and not high center the vehicle, but that's not typical "snow" driving that most of us do (I've done it though.... lots of winching involved ;)

• 2 weeks later...