Ultimate Subaru Message Board

wanted: mechanic for beater Subarus in/near Seattle

I realize that this place is mostly a DIY operation but as an apartment dweller with an aging vehicle those options are pretty limited for me. The significant other and I happen to be owned by two elderly Subaru wagons. One is near 200K and the other just over. I've found two repair shops in town that have done good work on both of them, but the labor rates are so very high. (As are most mechanics.)

In western MA I knew a guy in the hilltowns who had is own garage and would fix my rustbucket just as much as was needed and no more, and at an affordable rate. It made a lot of sense for a beater car that you didn't want to spend $400 on every five seconds. He even re-routed a rotted rear brake line for $250 when my previous machanic quoted $1,000+

Does anyone know of any mechanics like this in the Seattle area? The '96 should probably get a 200K mile service and I know those can run quite a bit.

If you want to visit Portland I do that kind of work - just as you say - personalized service from my own garage. I have quite a few older Subaru owners in your general area that make the trek to my garage - strange as that sounds. I guess *honesty* and *value* are hard to find anywhere these days - sad that it's come to that eh?

PM me if you are interested :)

GD

• 2 months later...

I can do it for $600 including parts (KYB GR-2's). Though driving to Portland may not work out for you..... easily done while you hang out and then drive it home again.

PM me if you are interested.

BTW - the breakdown is $300 for struts (thereabouts), $200 for labor, and a little over $100 for the alignment (Les Shwabb is 1 block from me).

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder