Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 2001 forester and the check engine light was on went to auto zone and had it scaned and needed the 02 sensor front one so I replace it. Then 2 months later check engine came on again, had it checked and it ran a coed P0420 with 3 different causes,1 Rich A/F ratio, 2 Ignition system malifuction, 3 Faulty catalytic converter. Any advice on which on and what to do?

Thanks,

Roger

PO420 is "THE" most common code. There's a multitude of things which will trigger it. I just clear it with my code reader and it usually does not come on again for many, many months.

Definately do not get sucked into replacing your cats. It will not stop the code from coming up and it will cost you a small fortune.

Edited by Blacky

[...]needed the 02 sensor front one so I replace it. Then 2 months later check engine came on again, had it checked and it ran a coed P0420 with 3 different causes[...]

As Fairtax4me is (I think) hinting at, if the front sensor wasn't a Subaru OEM one, that might be possible cause number 4 .

As Fairtax4me is (I think) hinting at, if the front sensor wasn't a Subaru OEM one, that might be possible cause number 4 .

icon_thumby.gif Bingo!

More than likely, the P0420 code is the result of readings from the new sensor. Search P0420 and you'll find a thousand threads about it, and plenty of info about what to do to remedy the cause.