Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm having trouble knowing how much life is left in my clutch!!!!

I have a 1980 4wd 1600 GL wagon (EA71). 166,000 miles, but I had the clutch rebuilt about 20,000 mile ago. I'm having some trouble knowing how to proceed with my clutch. I haven't driven the car very much in the past few years (because of a bunch of other problems, like howling axle bearings and clicking axles, both of which I have recently fixed), which now leaves me with the clutch. Right before I parked the car (4 years ago), the clutch would engage when the pedal was about 1" off the floor. I feared the clutch was going out at the time, and therefore decided to park the car until I could get it fixed; however, I found there was a lot of slack in the linkage (the pedal carrier has worn quite a bit, and I have had it welded up a couple times), and I had to replace the clutch cable with an aftermarket unit from Autozone and it might have been a bit longer than the original. So I decided to take up the extra slack in the cable with a bunch of washers and presto!. I have renewed clutch action again! No slipping, positive engagement, easy shifting. Now, am I fooling myself? Is my clutch actually getting ready to fail? It DOES seem that the clutch lever (on the bell housing) seems pretty far back with the current adjustment....so what do I risk by driving it the way I am???

does the clutch ever slip when the pedal is all the way up? slippage is cause by two things pretty much. the clutch disc itself being glazed or worn down too far, or weak pressure plate springs. if your pedal is up then your clamp force is in full effect. if it doesnt slip under power you are probably fine

does the clutch ever slip when the pedal is all the way up? slippage is cause by two things pretty much. the clutch disc itself being glazed or worn down too far, or weak pressure plate springs. if your pedal is up then your clamp force is in full effect. if it doesnt slip under power you are probably fine
NO slipping at all - positive engagement, regardless of load! (Thanks for the reply!)

no prob. hope that helps. i wouldnt be worried untill it slips again. also if you were worried about the cable being too long. if it was too long you wouldnt be able to shift gears at all. just like the clutch not being engaged. if you can smoothly go though your gears then the cluch is engaging enough

I would get a new cable from the dealer (about $25) and a used pedal assembly from an '84 or newer EA81 - they have an improved cable mount (you have to buy an '84 cable to match). That will solve your problems with the pedal assembly cracking and having to be welded, and your cable length problems as well (dealer cables are much better). Don't forget the cable goes under the steering shaft AND the heater core hoses.

GD

I would get a new cable from the dealer (about $25) and a used pedal assembly from an '84 or newer EA81 - they have an improved cable mount (you have to buy an '84 cable to match). That will solve your problems with the pedal assembly cracking and having to be welded, and your cable length problems as well (dealer cables are much better). Don't forget the cable goes under the steering shaft AND the heater core hoses.

GD

Thanks, GD! I'll look into that! So, I supposed I'll have no problem bolting the '84 or newer pedal assembly into my 1980??

It should bolt right in to any of the EA81 body cars - 80 through 83.5 when they switched to the newer pedal.

Though if you have a top-mount starter tranny..... you will have issues because the EA81 cables are longer than the EA71 top-mount starter cables. Might not work if you still have the old EA71 and tranny in there...... but a new dealer cable for your '80 pedal assembly will still be much better than the aftermarket. And if you have a *good* welder you can probably reinforce the '80 pedal assembly so it won't fail again.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

It should bolt right in to any of the EA81 body cars - 80 through 83.5 when they switched to the newer pedal.

Though if you have a top-mount starter tranny..... you will have issues because the EA81 cables are longer than the EA71 top-mount starter cables. Might not work if you still have the old EA71 and tranny in there...... but a new dealer cable for your '80 pedal assembly will still be much better than the aftermarket. And if you have a *good* welder you can probably reinforce the '80 pedal assembly so it won't fail again.

GD

Yeah, I do have the old EA71 and tranny. The welding didn't hold up too well (like you said, maybe I could find a "good" welder who could fabricate some reinforcements) and get a dealer cable (I find my nearest dealer tends to not have parts available...even on order...for my old subie...but he's too busy selling Acuras,Porsches,BMWs and Chevrolets, too :banghead:) Thanks...I will get the cable one way or another.....!

I find my nearest dealer tends to not have parts available...even on order...for my old subie...but he's too busy selling Acuras,Porsches,BMWs and Chevrolets, too :banghead: I will get the cable one way or another.....!
If you don't mind mail order I'd suggest Jason in Parts at 1-866-528-5282. He works for a Subaru dealer in Auburn, WA and is never too busy to attend to getting parts for the older cars. His internet prices offer a pretty decent discount on cost. Only downside is shipping, but a clutch cable doesn't weigh much.

If you don't mind mail order I'd suggest Jason in Parts at 1-866-528-5282. He works for a Subaru dealer in Auburn, WA and is never too busy to attend to getting parts for the older cars. His internet prices offer a pretty decent discount on cost. Only downside is shipping, but a clutch cable doesn't weigh much.
Great tip! Thanks!