Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well, if I lived in Seattle, I definitely have Smart Service use their gasket and do the repair. The problem with replacing the HG with the Subaru one is that it is the same gasket that's already in the engine for the 02+ production years. So, it's possible/probable that replacement gasket is going to leak eventually just like the original. Subaru has gone to the three layer HG [MLS] for the '10 model year and they went to it for the '97-'99 fix, so it must have some merit.

As far as the phase 1 engines are concerned, the new gasket is either a 4 or 5 layer design. I am scared of the viton coating as Subaru recomends no coating on their gaskets. Maybe this is the way to go on the phase2 motors, but for the phase 1, I wiould still use the Subaru gaskets.

Just my 2 cents.

i don't buy snake oil from anybody. I will stick to OEM subaru. thanks. I would rather go with factory, who has spent countless money trying to fix a "problem" that really isn't much of a problem anyways, than a gasket company I have never heard of selling plastic coated riveted steel gaskets that they probably ripped off from cometic or oem anyways.

The site says it's a stainless steel gasket. And subaru engines are all aluminum.

Everything I know about dissimilar, and some personal experience with it is that you NEVER have aluminum and stainless in direct contact with each other because of galvanic corrosion. Especially when salt is in the mixture. I've had issues with boats, but with cars you get salt from the roads in the winter which will find it's way to the bottom of the engine.

Well, I can tell you from Actual experience with these gaskets that they work excellent. And it's not just my opinion, I've done countless headgasket jobs on Phase 1 and Phase 2's. And have never had a problem with these gaskets. It's not like I've done one or two in the backyard, this is my job. No offense or anything, just trying to give insight since I've been using them for years.

I would say its best to just not mess with anything aftermarket on the ej25 engine subaru has machined.

anything ea71, ea81, ea 82, and ej20, ej22 is maybe ok for junk aftermarket, but HELL NO for the ej25 which is a 100%+ failure even subaru can't get them right on ej25 so there is my .02 cents.

who has spent countless money trying to fix a "problem" that really isn't much of a problem anyways,

Not that much of a problem? When Subaru acknowledges that there is a problem (which, comparatively speaking, rarely happens with any manufacturer) there is a problem. From what I've read, and heard from Subaru technicians, is that this is an almost guaranteed failure on the phase 1 ej25.

Everything I know about dissimilar, and some personal experience with it is that you NEVER have aluminum and stainless in direct contact with each other because of galvanic corrosion.

Except they will not be in direct contact with this design. That's why the coating is there.

DuPonts page about Viton coated head gaskets.

http://www.dupontelastomers.com/Products/Viton/head.asp

Sounds like a good setup to me. More and more manufacturers are using gaskets just like this on all aluminum alloy engines and they don't seem to have any trouble with them.

From what I've read, and heard from Subaru technicians, is that this is an almost guaranteed failure on the phase 1 ej25.

I just worked on a 99 OB Limited yesterday with it's orgiginal HGs. 168k miles.

No bubbles in coolant and the coolant looked CLEAN (drained to change water pump)

Given the sheer number of 90's Outbacks I see driving around, I'd say it's a crap shoot, not a garauntee.:lol: You do at least have a chance of getting lucky and not having problems.

Not that much of a problem? When Subaru acknowledges that there is a problem (which, comparatively speaking, rarely happens with any manufacturer) there is a problem. From what I've read, and heard from Subaru technicians, is that this is an almost guaranteed failure on the phase 1 ej25.

What I meant by "not that much of a problem" is the fact that they blow headgaskets (usually) outside of "normal service life" by american standarts. lol 150k and alot of cars have dead transmissions, and dead engines (internal). so hg's aren't too big of a deal as long as you don't keep driving them after they go, and overheat the piss out of them. I WOULD replace the hg's with the ones that came on the car if I knew they would last 100-150k more, by then the whole engine and car is pretty worn out. and if you choose, just do a motor swap and continue driving said worn out 300k mile car even longer.:)

My uncle just rebuilt my aunt's cavalier, 142k and it had catastrophic failure. He is a mechanic, so service always done, she's not hard on it either. Bet he wishes it was only a headgasket :lol: