Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Doing ATF drain and fill on 97 Legacy GT, need some info...

Hey, I'm flushing the ATF on my '97 Legacy GT... went to my local subaru dealer to buy fluid and filter and they couldn't find the filter for this model. I read somewhere that they don't have a filter... can anyone confirm this?

Also, what size torx is that? I read T70 somewhere and T50 somewhere else... anyone know that for this year model?

Also, I checked the fluid level cold this morning and it was above the hot F indicator? Do these transmissions run better with more fluid than the recommended amount?

BTW, I drove my subie for a couple hours today after head gasket job and everything is smooth and cool. Awesome feeling to do your own work and have it running after you get a quote of $3500 to do the job.

Thanks

Edited by 86GLScooby

Hey, I'm flushing the ATF on my '97 Legacy GT... went to my local subaru dealer to buy fluid and filter and they couldn't find the filter for this model. I read somewhere that they don't have a filter... can anyone confirm this?

Also, what size torx is that? I read T70 somewhere and T50 somewhere else... anyone know that for this year model?

Also, I checked the fluid level cold this morning and it was above the hot F indicator? Do these transmissions run better with more fluid than the recommended amount?

BTW, I drove my subie for a couple hours today after head gasket job and everything is smooth and cool. Awesome feeling to do your own work and have it running after you get a quote of $3500 to do the job.

Thanks

there is no filter for the 97 GT auto trans. there is an internal screen but you don't want to mess with that.. so don't.

the drain plug with the torx / allen type insert is for the front differential, not the trans fluid. the trans fluid drain plug is on the pan further back. (unless yours is different than mine.)

the fluid level on these can be difficult to read. make sure you check both sides of the dip stick. and the ATF dip stick is ~24 inches? long and on the driver side under the AC and heater hoses. the front diff dip stick is on the passenger side and it is only a few inches long.

and no it is not recommended to over fill it, but double check the level.

congrats on the head gasket job.

I think the external AT filter did not start until the 1999 models.

When I change my ATF, I drain and fill three times, with at least 5 minutes of driving between changes. The reason for this is that you can only drain about half of the ATF out with each drain. The other half stays in the torque converter, and won't drain out. Each drain is about 4 quarts and 1 pint. Yea, the three changes requires a total of about 14 quarts of ATF, but that is a lot less costly then having the ATF pressure drained at a shop. Also, good to know is that the AT dip stick from the low mark to high mark is only about one pint of fluid, so pour slowly, so you don't over fill. Yea, I think you know, the fluid level should be checked with the engine warmed up, and engine running. Trany should not be over filled with ATF to prevent fluid aeration.

I am not aware of a torx head screw/bolt application on the auto trany. My 98 doesn't have any torx heads at all. I am thinking that you will find a drain plug bolt on your trany pan that looks like the drain plug bolt on the oil pan. The drain plug will have a 17MM bolt pattern.

Suggest that you do NOT drop the AT pan to change the filter screen inside. It sounds like a good idea, but it is not. I did that once, only to find the fine mesh screen absolutely clean. Then, I had a difficult time removing the old gasket, then adding a new gasket to reseal the pan to prevent leakage. Others have said the same thing here on this forum... that dropping the pan for filter screen replacement is a waste of time.

Good luck on your ATF change. Your Subie will love the TLC you are giving her.

Yeah, thanks for the replies... I crawled under the car and saw the AT plug looks the same as the oil plug, so that makes it easier. Good to know about the screen filter and 3 time drain and fill... I have 5 quarts with me of the ATF-HP (the tech at the subaru place said this stuff is awesome, I'll definately feel a difference) and plan to do one drain and fill now and then a double drain and fill in a week or so? Just because I'm far away from the subaru dealer... or should I wait and do 3x drain and fill with 5 min driving as you mentioned? I'll do the front and rear diff at the same time as that. Thanks all.

Waiting a week is fine. If I remember correctly the transmission holds a total of 10 quarts and 6 will drain out through the drain plug. Also, I believe the front differential drain plug is a T-65. (I would have to check my tool box to be 100% sure.) Torx get expensive when they are that big. ~$35.

The Texaco Express Lube that I worked at used a BG Transmission flush machine that used the transmission pressure to cycle out the old fluid while it fills simultaneously with new fluid. Kind of like a blood transfusion. It takes about 16 quarts. When it's all clean and "brand new" it's done. They charged about $130 for that service. I would feel comfortable using that on my Subaru.