Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Adding notes to Miata shock swap

vagen

I am trying NB miata rear shocks on my RX and I will report that the NA rear shocks are shorter but NB will make a nice match for XT 2wd front struts with OE springs. I however am building a race car so Tokico illumina NA miata rear shocks will be going on these are 2 1/8" shorter than the NB shocks and have adjustable damping. I am still researching front shocks for the 4-lug suspension. I will try to add that info here as well.

Do you have comparison side by side pics if the rear struts and what year struts they are ?

NA and NB (and NC) are Miata body style codes. years, pictures, and other info in my thread here:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=78684

I ran NA for a few months.

....until the shock rod broke. The bushing in the upper mount is a crucial piece. And I know WJM had the same issue with a different combo running without that bushing.

I managed to solve the problem by running energy suspension sway bar bushings on the bottom with the ES washer and OE bushings on the top with the stock washer.

Note: remove the metal ring on the miata shock

Edited by vagen