Ultimate Subaru Message Board

timing belt fixed and now whines

hey all,

i have a 2000 subaru legacy GT, wagon.

i've just had the timing belt changed, along with the related parts like the water pump. for those wondering what the costs on timing belts are, mine came in at $850CAD. seems high to me, but i paid it. the dealer quoted be $1,200, so the $850 seemed reasonable.

anyhow...i'm now hearing a whining sound, and its driving me a bit mad. i like my car to sound the same, it gives me comfort. new sounds stress me out. i'm only about 50km's into the new timing belt.

even the wife noticed it, so its gotta be noticeable. :)

can i get some input on what this sound may be?

could it be from the new belt(s) and just needs to loosen up over time?

could this all go drastically bad if i just take the wait and see approach?

any thoughts from the experts out there will be a big help. thanks in advance.

850 is on the high side but not out of range.

Wet the belt(s) with the car running and see if it goes away, If it does it is an over tight belt. Check you PS fluid level as that can make a noise like this too.

Does it go away with the ac on?

Does it match engine speed?

hey guys,

once again, i'm super impressed with this board. thank you for all your input.

i should clear up my definition of 'fixed'. there was nothing wrong with the timing belt. i just completed the maintenance. the mechanic took it apart, the belt was in good shape, and all the seals were in great shape. better safe than sorry i suppose.

the noise, it is more obvious when turning. even when i have the car idling and i rock the steering wheel back and forth, the whine seems to grow an then subside with the motion of the wheel. i did a few circles around a traffic roundabout last night too, and the sound was louder, then subsided as i straightened out coming out of the roundabout.

so, not knowing too much, i'm thinking that a belt for the steering could have been put back on too tight?

thanks again gents.

Here's what I do with the accessory belts.

I get one 1/2 inch longer than called for on the Power Sterring side (hate taking out the bolts and "tilting" the PS pump to get that belt on often) and I get one 1/2 shorter on the alternator side. What is called for you have your tensioner almost the whole way tight before the belt gets tight.

IIR jsut add 5 to the # of the PS belt, and subtract 5 from the alternator belt #. Your parts house should be able to help you with this.

Some times air cavitates in the power steering pump and its a matter of bleeding the pressure/air from the high pressure line side. It can be very messy but what I do is loosen the banjo bolt, have someone start the car (you better have safety glasses/shield on here!), and then tighten the banjo bolt nearly immediately after the car starts. Fluid is going to start spraying out 95 percent of the time. Shut the car off, degrease, let it dry and see if its quiet.