Ultimate Subaru Message Board

17" tires ok on a 2009 Forester?

Hi, all: A friend (GOOD friend) just gave me 4 Blizzaks with about 1000 miles on them. I'm still running my 2-year-old original tires on my 2009 Forester, and they're 16" tires. Is there any reason that I shouldn't buy a set of 17" wheels to get these 225/45R17/91R winter tires on my Soob before the snow flies? It looks like 17" is an acceptable tire size on this car. Thanks, guys. -T

those are going to be really a wide footprint of tread. Wide is NOT good in snow and ice for highway use.

Narrow is lots better.

not sure i would want to go the route your are taking.

plus thats a low profile tire, not going to ride very well. do you live in a area of lots of potholes? if so, you may even damage a rim with that low pro sidewall if you hit a chuck hole in the road.

Stock 09 Forester X tire size is 225/55/17.

They'll fit but be mindful of the height difference. Loss in ground clearance is one thing, you're talking about a roughly 7.5% difference in circumference which will make the speedometer read slow by ~5mph at 60. This will also throw off the odometer by the same amount.

Plus they're gonna look funny. 45 profile is reallllly short on a 225 width.

Edited by Fairtax4me

Very thoughtful replies here. All bring up good points. I don't like the idea of an inaccurate speedo, so that's a good issue. The ground clearance thing doesn't bother me (in fact, a little lower might be a good thing; I'm not often offroad, but I think the '09 Forester grew by just a tad too much in overall size). The pothole question is real in Michigan, too. The funny-looking thing makes sense ... the wheel well on this car is pretty wide, and having an even-smaller tire in there might be a little dorky. Maybe I'll put these on Craigslist and give someone a good deal ... I can split the money with the pal who laid them on me. Any other comments are welcome ... I always leave here smarter than when I jumped in! --T