Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Outback Wheels on 95 Legacy?

I have 1995 Legacy L wagon 175,000 miles. Always loaded, it's driven very hard and treated rough. Never had struts replaced. Tires on orig. steel wheels & tires are 185 70 X 14. The alloy wheels to go on are 15in. diameter 6in. wide. Interchange book says they will fit the car. What is the largest tire that I can purchase without rubbing?

Thanks in Advance!

I have 1995 Legacy L wagon 175,000 miles. Always loaded, it's driven very hard and treated rough. Never had struts replaced. Tires on orig. steel wheels & tires are 185 70 X 14. The alloy wheels to go on are 15in. diameter 6in. wide. Interchange book says they will fit the car. What is the largest tire that I can purchase without rubbing?

Thanks in Advance!

i don't know about the largest, but the stock 15'' tire is 195/xx/15, the same diameter as your 14s .

EDIT: as you will see below i screwed up, the 15'' tire of equal size is 195/60/15.

Edited by johnceggleston

i don't know about the largest, but the stock 15'' tire is 195/70/15, the same diameter as your 14s .

I'm confused. 14" and 15" are same diameter? I'd assume you're talking about the outer tread diameter. That said I think they gotta be different. My limited knowledge is that the second number is the "aspect ratio". Basically with a 195/70 that the sidewall lenght is 70% of the 195 the tread width. If they started on different diameter rims the overall diameter would be different.

I suspect the OP may be looking for that Miata tire calculator website to calculate the overall diameter of the tire and width.

I'm confused. 14" and 15" are same diameter? I'd assume you're talking about the outer tread diameter. That said I think they gotta be different. My limited knowledge is that the second number is the "aspect ratio". Basically with a 195/70 that the sidewall lenght is 70% of the 195 the tread width. If they started on different diameter rims the overall diameter would be different.

I suspect the OP may be looking for that Miata tire calculator website to calculate the overall diameter of the tire and width.

you're right, my tounge was covering my eye teeth and i couldn't see what i was saying.

195/60/15 is a stock tire size 95 - 99 lego Ls