Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Left turn clicking, only when cold?

I've got a clicking coming from the CV joint area when turning left, but only when it is cold weather and the car is cold. Do I just need to check and lube my front driver CV joint?

I don't know exactly why it only happens when cold. That is more what I am curious about. I assume that as the car warms (or in warmer weather, it is in the 20's right now) that the fluid becomes less viscous and then gets into the joints better?

I have a feeling that it isn't a part failure and could be fixed with a lube change/addition.

Anyone else experience this before?

is it an original axle or replacement?

replacement axles are often junk, see it all the time.

is the boot busted? with your description it would be an outer boot, just behind the wheel. check them good to see if they busted.

have the boots ever been replaced?

i've stuffed grease up into axle joints a bunch of times, quiets them right up. so i'd say it's worth a shot to reboot it and get some good grease in there, but i'd also say there's no way to promise that will rid you of clicking.

i've had busted boot, no grease front joints last 50,000 miles before if you're just using it as a daily driver and not driving in sand and coal covered roads. not that i recommend that - but my point is that a properly lubricated joint with plenty of grease in it that has a very minor clicking to it is not anywhere near to failure. it's just annoying, that's it.

if it's that inconsistent, only when cold, then you're right it's probably something minor that's not going to show with a basic inspection.

have the axles or boots ever been replaced?

sounds like it's an aftermarket axle or was rebooted too late at some point.

Edited by grossgary