Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello,

I have a 99 Outback, 2.5 DOHC and I am putting the engine back together after finish the HG. I have run into a problem, I have lined the passenger side cam sprockets for correct timing. Set the crank to TDC. Lined up the exhaust cam sprocket on the driver side. The intake cam sprocket will not go into position. It seems to be hitting something, could the cylinder be hitting the valves, if so, why?

any and all help is very welcome. I want to get this into my wifes car ASAP.

Thanks in advance.

-Lance

The drivers side intake has compression on it. It want's to be tough right until you get it where you want it, then it spins past where you want it.

Look around for excellent procedures - there are several here. I've taken to clamping the TB to those cam sprockets and the crank, and installing that lower tensioner last. That's what works for me. The plastic plier kind of clamps. Because keepint that drivers side cam still and ligned up and getting the rest of the belt on never seems to work for me without this trick.

What brand of belt? Reason I ask is a Dayco never quite ligns up on the drivers side for some reason. I hear the OEM one does.

Become a member of subaruforester.org and go to this thread:

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f88/piston-slap-03-forester-2833/

Download the InsiderInfoEndFall03.pdf file from post #5.

Read the section "Assembling 1997 And Newer Engines".

If for some reason you're unsuccessful doing the above, let us know and I'll see if I can post the information.

Hello,

The intake cam sprocket will not go into position. It seems to be hitting something, could the cylinder be hitting the valves, if so, why?

Thanks in advance.

-Lance

If you followed protocol and lined all the marks up before you took it apart and haven't moved the crank( key @ 6oclock and notch on crank position sensor mount lined up with notch on crank srocket) you're fine. It's not at TDC==top dead center. It's at the middle in all cyclinders so there's max clearance. Only turn one cam at a time to re-align them back from where they came. Cam sprcket notches align with notches on rear timing belt covers. The resistance you feel should just be valve spring pressure.

Hello,

I have a 99 Outback, 2.5 DOHC and I am putting the engine back together after finish the HG. I have run into a problem, I have lined the passenger side cam sprockets for correct timing. Set the crank to TDC. Lined up the exhaust cam sprocket on the driver side. The intake cam sprocket will not go into position. It seems to be hitting something, could the cylinder be hitting the valves, if so, why?

Thanks in advance.

-Lance

How did you align TDC? IF you have the crank mark at 12 o'clock you should not have cylinder interference. You do have to be careful that you do not hit intake and exhaust valve by turn the cams. You shuld have aligned the cams before you installed the heads. You may find that once you are close you can use small clamps to hold the belt to the cam gears. It will also help hold the gear in the correct location. There are several timing belt procedures here. Search our data base and you will find your answer.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=84562&highlight=dohc+timing+belt+procedure

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showpost.php?p=19460&postcount=37

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showpost.php?p=952890&postcount=7

There are three threads that may help you.

Please note that any endwrench.com article that was not archived is now lost as the site is now gone.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Figured out the problem. The crank sprocket has 2 marks on it: one is on the outer part of the sprocket and is the correct mark. The other mark is on the inner part of the sprocket and is triangle shaped. I was lining it up with the second, triangle shaped mark, and that is the wrong mark :-\ . Why would they do a crazy thing like that, don't they know that I will put it all together without check and blow an engine :grin:

Thanks again everyone.

-Lance