Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Snow dumps hurt cars. Error 55

Man I tell ya, every winter I can more or less plan on mystery problems developing with the car. 2005 outback 2.5 liter

Last year it was a vent blower

Minneapolis got 7-12 inches of snow so I had to do a lot of getting unstuck, rocking and revving to get through nasty streets and snow banks left by the plows.

This morning I get in the car and notice error 55 on the odometer display, check engine light is on and the cruise light is blinking.

I checked and found that err 55 = ecr or egr, upshift control is the deal.

The thing is I don't know what that means or requires fir attention and if so a cost. I am working at hospital right now and unable to call a shop.

Thanks for any ideas.

I dont know what code 55 means but I can tell you I was driving over on the st paul side yesterday during the blizzard and it was half way up my doors up in pine city where I live I got home and I had snow drifts upto my hips huge big snow drifts my wifes escape went through it fine but my little eagle vision didnt fair so well

Well if it is simply a reminder to replace the EGR valve, it is a simple and inexpensive project. Buy the part at a parts store, then remove old one, install new one, with minimal labor involved. The parts store counter guy should be able to tell you where to install the new EGR valve.

Heard on the news about your massive blizzard snow storm, and the roof falling in on the Metrodome in the cities. Winter starts in another 9 days.......how much worse can it get?

I guess the snow has just been waiting for a couple of years. Hasn't been like this for awhile. Kind of fun.

THey should just tear the metrodome down now and save cost and time repairing it. TCF field would work in the meantime.

3 hrs from pine city to woodbury is long drive time and I agree people rarely drive like they actually live in MInnesota. Even rain slows p[eople down when it shouldn't be such a big deal.

On to car questions. Is there a chance that something is just plugged or too cold from underbelly snow yesterday?

Any thought on upshift control code? Also EGR easy enough to put in for a novice car repair fellow? any special tools needed. I did an alternator on my 98 legacy wagon a couple of years ago and think without the torque wrench I caused it to die early....

according to what I just found on google its possibly a bad wheel speed sensor so possibly got some snow in it ice build up or maybe ran over a chunk of ice and whacked somthing out of alignment?

it is not unusual to get abs codes in my outback during snow driving conditions. if you can melt or wash off all the snow around the wheels, you may find no problem. but i know noyhing about the newer cars so i'm no real help.

do you have a garage you can park it in over night??

i saw the error 55 on my 06 outback the first time i tried to pull it into a non plowed parking lot, that was not 8 inches deep. I had to spin tires, front then back a few and got the code. after almost getting stuck in something my first gen legacies would have drove through with ease never needing reverse foward reverse. Due to it, i got a blinky cruise control light. Used a code reader, canceled it out and sold that pile of crap It was not safe on ice either.

I will reiterate that nothing have failed on your car, but the engineers of that bastard year range model car.

I dumped mine and bought an older one which is snow proof maybe you will do the same

for those others that see a 2005-2009 outback on the road in snow/ice, STEER CLEAR that car will spin out at 40mph and be the death of anyone, steer clear of those year outbacks at all cost. if you dont believe me, then follow one and read the posts of this.

Edited by bheinen74