Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hayward&Scott - don't buy their stuff...doesn't fit!

So, I decided to dig deep into my pockets and fork out for a Hayward&Scott manifold. For my turbo-less Imp. The really tidy looking one, with a race-cat in - keeping it legal.

This one here...which you will notice is NOT CHEAP!!

http://www.haywardan...h-flow-cat.html

The darn thing arrived a month later and DID NOT FIT!! It was 20mm too narrow compared to the exhaust ports on the engine, and a COLLOSAL 40mm too short. The collection of 2-1 at the cat is too far forward and it ends up fouling the engine subframe, the gearbox subframe, the hanger it was meant to bolt onto, and the rear flange won't reach to the midpipe.

I took a string of pictures and sent off to H&S - I live on mainland Europe, remember. They told me this couldn't be, it was impossible for it to be too short. WELL HELLO??? If the stupid thing would fit, I would just bolt it on, wouldn't I?? I don't spend that kind of money, just to mess about.

This story turns really nasty, since I sent the manifold back, and it got "lost" in the post. The tracking details follow it to arrival at Heathrow airport, where it dissappeared. Got stolen most likely.

I sent it with the state carrier, with track&trace, which means it's got a standard insurance on it...which works by calculating a maximum compensation by the weight of the parcel. That means I will receive only £90 !

Granted, Hayward & Scott are not to blame for the mysterious disappearance, but if they made a real QUALITY product, that FIT FIRST TIME, I wouldn't have needed to send it back, would I?

In fact the "Distance Selling" regulations of The Sale of Goods Act states that I am only obliged to make the defective product available for collection, but H&S abused my goodwill and pressured me into sending the manifold myself. That means it becomes my responsibilty under UK law.

YES, I am well pissed off!

H&S have given me a hard-luck story, about them not being able to afford to make another manifold....WHAT ABOUT ME? THE CUSTOMER who paid an enormous sum of money for a completely useless manifold.

They even had the cheekiness to suggest that my car was to blame, or even the authorised Subaru dealer that attempted to fit the manifold. It was suggested that we may have done "something stupid".

HOW??? It's a manifold, and the six head studs dictate the positioning.

I have avoided slandering H&S on the web, since I have been trying to get them to help me out, and honour their warranty and indeed live up to their reputation, but since this case has hit a dead end, and I bear the loss of over £1000, I thought I would share my experience here on USMB. Might save other Subaru owner's some problems in the future.

I have since purchases a Borla manifold, cat-back, and a RandomTech catalyst....all of it FIT PERFECTLY!!! If only I have decided to Buy American from the beginning, I wouldn't have lost all that money on so-called "English Craftmanship".

Yes, in hindsight the need for added insurance is obvious. Please consider that I am a layman in terms of freight, so I had no idea that the standard insurance cover was so small - based on weight. And it was on a track-and-trace label, which to me means it cannot get lost without someone being held responsible.

Also, Wayward & Scott, by law, should have arranged for the manifold to be picked up, but they pressured me into sending it back myself, claiming that it would be faster.

The conspiracy theorist within me believes they did that on purpose. It's almost too convenient that it got lost.