Ultimate Subaru Message Board

noisy shifting

Ive been using my dune buggy with a 4 speed dual range tranny and have noticed that after driving for a while it will start to be noisy and clunky and often grind when shifting into reverse. From what ive heard this tranny doesn't have a syncromesh reverse gear so i know its going to be a little scratchy but is there any way to make it grind less when shifting into reverse.

Ive been using my dune buggy with a 4 speed dual range tranny and have noticed that after driving for a while it will start to be noisy and clunky and often grind when shifting into reverse. From what ive heard this tranny doesn't have a syncromesh reverse gear so i know its going to be a little scratchy but is there any way to make it grind less when shifting into reverse.

Reverse gears typically are not synchromesh.

Does it matter how long you wait after pushing down the clutch? If the car is stationary and you push in the clutch and 10 seconds later it still grinds, then your clutch is probably dragging.

• 2 weeks later...
... the tranny is fairly old and has about 215,000 miles on it so i definently can expect a little noise. ...

Have you Tried Gearbox fluid Reinforced with Molybdenum bisulphide MOS2... it does Wonders on Old Noisy Gearboxes and Differentials, Makes any Hard-to-Shift Gearbox to go Smooth as Silk, also it Removes a Great Percentage of the Gearbox Noise.

I Drive my Subies and my Old Mercury comet with this:

motul_gearbox_80w90_1l.jpg?t=1293652963

Motul 80W~90.

(I Also use Motul Motor Oil for my cars' Engines)

For More information, see:

http://shop.edoperformance.com/motul...5-p-15036.html

Due to the Molybdenum, the Fluid Looks like Black Oil, Black as Graphite Grease for C.V. Joints.

Kind Regards.

Very common with those old gearboxes...not much you can do about it. I simply shift into 4th gear (WITH THE CAR COMPLETELY STATIONARY) and then into reverse which eliminates the problem. Also if you have issues with it not wanting to go into 1st gear (usually after 1st gear launch, into neutral then it won't go back into 1st), just clutch out then back in in neutral.

That's what I do, and I doubt there's anything wrong with my transmission seeing as it has new fluid and the car has 35 000km on it.