Ultimate Subaru Message Board

a 93 Loyale wagon

Hi guys I'm PJ. I've recently acquired a 93 Loyale wagon for $200 It had a gummed up radiator and an suposed new clutch before it came to me. The clutch only engages right at the top of the pedal run. A frendly mechanic messed a bit with it and got it to engage just a bit lower down the pedal run but not nearly in the middle where I would like it. The radiator problem was solved with a new one for $110. The car has an infernal rattle coming from the shift lever and I like to learn if there is an easy fix for this? It dissapears as soon as I get hold of the lever but my right hand has better things to do while I'm driving. I quite like the car but at 72 my mechanical skills are worthless if any kind of awkward wrenching positions are required. At 6'4" its all I can do just to get in the thing. Ideas? Thanks PJ

Hi PJ welcome to USMB.

You should be able to adjust the clutch cable since its a non-hydraulic clutch. The adjustment should be right over the bellhousing (Under the spare tire if its in there) you can adjust how much slack is in it to make it more responsive, you would also adjust it when the clutch disc gets worn to keep the clutch right there rather then letting it out so far.

As for the rattle, I'm not sure, But I am sure GD will pop in and give his word on the whole deal.

The Loyale/GL (EA82 engine) is a good engine and won't let you down as long as you do a little bit of preventative maintenance. Keep coolant and oil in it and she'll be happy, and check the timing belts from time to time.

Cheers!

-Tom

My guess is you have the same annoying rattle as me, and it's the 4wd switch rattling in the shifter knob at certain rpms. Going up hills, and often at highway speeds, my 4wd button rattles. Annoying, I agree. Haven't thought too hard about ways to fix it...

PJ, welcome. Seems we have the same car (mine's a 92 wagon with a rad that just failed in time for winter), not to mention the same age:grin: I've had this one 3 years - it has 325000 klicks on it Still has good compression and power. Oil pan gasket weeps - I'll get to that sometime. Timing belt went out soon after I bought it so that's a worthwhile preventative maintenance thing. They are mostly easy to work on (I don't do wrenching where contortions are involved, either) I get the same rattle in the shifter - usually around a 3000 RPM cruise in 4th. I agree with loyale re the source of the rattle, but I think the fix involves some wrenching we don't want to do. Clutch should be easy to set up. No crawling underneath!!!. Get a Haynes or factory manual, and what the Haynes doesn't have the folks here will have.