Ultimate Subaru Message Board

replace battery and car won't start?

tried it 3 times and no joy:banghead:

this is the first time i have heard of this not working on a car with and alarm.

maybe leave the battery disconnected longer.

or maybe turn the key on and off 5 times real fast.

maybe it is a bad battery and you don't have an alarm system on the car.

what year and model of car.?

this is the first time i have heard of this not working on a car with and alarm.

Some of them you turn it off and on. My GT has a really weird subaru alarm system with a red button you push. You have to turn on the ignition and hold in the button at the same time to disarm. And it doesn't always work...

it's a 2003 legacy, has an alarm.

checked the battery in my toyota truck and worked fine

Those alarms are a PITA. There is an ignition lock out in the circuit. Look under the steering column and you will find a jumper harness in the ignition plug that feeds back to the alarm box. Take that out and plug the ignition switch directly in(that is factory standard for cars without an alarm) and then try starting the car. I had the same issue with my sister's car and after i took out that harness she can alway start the car. With it in she often had the issue you are describing. I, eventually, took the alarm box out because it was just causing too much trouble.

Let me know if that helps.

well, i tried getting under the steering column and completely wrenched my back while trying to get to the harness. now i can barely walk.

guess i'm just gonna call the dealership and have em send someone out.

Dealing with wiring under the dash is a pain in the neck

info on the alarm system 99 - 04.

good luck.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/keyless.html#alpine

thanks, but after wrenching my back trying to get under the steering column, i decided to hang it up and call a professional.

spent the day stretching my back and drinking beer...good news is, i can walk around again with ease...just gonna drive my truck till the subie is fixed

• 2 months later...
  • 5 years later...

I would just like to say thanks for this information. You see, I have an 03 Subaru Outback, and it had these exact same symptoms.

And thank God for grossgary making that last post, or I would still be chasing a ghost in the security system!!

In my case also, it was a blown 100a fuse in the main fuse box!

I'll bet the fuse problem Grossgary found was just due to him not removing the negative battery connection before working on the alternator. The main output lead is always hot to the battery. The main lead most likely got shorted to ground after it was removed from the stud and that blew out the main fuse. The moral of the story here should be always remove the negative battery lead first when working on the alternator and use a test light probe to verify where power is getting to. A very cheap and easy tool to use that can save a lot of time and frustration when looking for electrical troubles.