Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2003 Outback replace HG with engine in car?

Hi, y'all.

I am wondering if it is possible to change the head gasket of the 2.5 L SOHC engine in my 2003 Outback without removing the engine from the vehicle.

If anyone has experience with this, would you please let me know if it's possible and if any special things need to be done to make it possible?

I have changed the timing belt and water pump with no problem, but I am wondering if there's enough clearance on the sides to allow the head to be removed in place....

Thanks for any help...

Matt D.

have really good equipment and/or materials for cleaning the block. the right angle access is annoying to get them clean but otherwise the saved effort and time is well worth it in my opinion. i use a right angle drill with one of those abrasive attachments for aluminum, NAPA carries them, they're yellow discs.

Thanks, Gary. I'm going to try the Subaru "Coolant Conditioner" first since it is only a small external coolant leak, and I don't really have the time or money for the full HG job right now. I just want to know what I am getting into when I do decide to take my engine apart....

Matt

I should have asked if the problem was the external leak. I bought a 99 forester 2 years ago and it too has the external leak. I put a bottle of the conditioner in and I just have to top the resivior bottle off every couple of months now. A much better idea than pulling the engine right now. I am not put out by having to check it every so often. Heck, I am always check the fuids anyway, so what is one more.

Good luck

Ok, I've had the conditioner in for 2 days, and have only done limited driving (to and from work, 15 min each way) and it seems to have helped dramatically. I was skeptical that it would work, but it seems to be working well. Now I can plan for any repairs in the future...

Thanks to all.

Matt

Hi, y'all.

I am wondering if it is possible to change the head gasket of the 2.5 L SOHC engine in my 2003 Outback without removing the engine from the vehicle.

If anyone has experience with this, would you please let me know if it's possible and if any special things need to be done to make it possible?

I have changed the timing belt and water pump with no problem, but I am wondering if there's enough clearance on the sides to allow the head to be removed in place....

Thanks for any help...

Matt D.

Yes you can. But it makes the job twice as hard. The engine comes out in an hour, it's not a big deal. It's 10 more bolts and 4 nuts to pull the engine.

have really good equipment and/or materials for cleaning the block. the right angle access is annoying to get them clean but otherwise the saved effort and time is well worth it in my opinion. i use a right angle drill with one of those abrasive attachments for aluminum, NAPA carries them, they're yellow discs.

Never, ever use those. They remove material from the block surface leaving it with high and low spots. You'll end up with blown head gaskets again when they don't seal. The also get grit into the engine and ruin the bearings. Only use the trailing edge of a razor blade and brake clean to clean the block and head surfaces.

No, I wouldn't try grinding the gasket sealing surfaces.... :brow: I usually use a soft scraper and solvent.

Also, I would love to be able to remove the engine from the car, but I don't have a suitable apparatus for lifting it out of the vehicle. Maybe I unknowingly have a friend with a shop crane. I should ask around.

Thanks for the advice.

Matt

Can you explain the technique a bit? Thnx!

Pull the blade over the surface with the sharp opposite of the direction you are scraping. You don't want it to dig in.

No, I wouldn't try grinding the gasket sealing surfaces.... :brow: I usually use a soft scraper and solvent.

Also, I would love to be able to remove the engine from the car, but I don't have a suitable apparatus for lifting it out of the vehicle. Maybe I unknowingly have a friend with a shop crane. I should ask around.

Thanks for the advice.

Matt

2 guy can lift it out if you get desperate. They only weigh about 300 lbs. My buddy and I do it all the time when buying junkyard engines.

Also, I would love to be able to remove the engine from the car, but I don't have a suitable apparatus for lifting it out of the vehicle. Maybe I unknowingly have a friend with a shop crane.

i bought mine from a guy who bought it for his engine repair. he paid retail, i paid half. they are not terribly expensive, especially if you resell it and get half of your money back. the bigger issue for me was a roof to work under. i don't have a garage, just a shed i can nose into.

pulling the engine in the drive way / parking lot versus pulling the heads in the car i might opt for in the car.