Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question on building new exhaust for EA81

I allways pull the blocks off and tap the stud holes to a standard coarse thread and thread lock them in. Using a stud that course on one end and fine on the other, course side in head. I got sicks of stripped studs. and then run a wild custom system.

My custom system on my GL-10 turbo:

And custom dual on my lifted wagon:

thanks a million for the picture.

looks simple enough...

3 more questions for ya.

1. did you make the flanges yourself

2. do you happen to know how far away from the head a 90 degree bend would have to be to clear everything that under the car?

3. Do you happen to know the distance between the bolt centers on the flange?

Edited by aaronxs400

looks simple enough...

2 more questions for ya.

1. did you make the flanges yourself

2. do you happen to know how far away from the head a 90 degree bend would have to be to clear everything that under the car?

I used the stock flange and cut the old pipe off flush and ground it smooth, increased the flange to 2" and welded 2 inch pipe to it. i used to work at "custom metal concepts", metal fab and exhuast speciaty shop so we had a hydrolic bender. As far as your bends your gonna want to measure your bend and check the fit before you weld everything up. everything i have ever done has been built completly custom to the aplication. i don't use any universal measurments. but it's roughly 4-5 inches from the flange. your crossmember will be channeled for pipe clearence tho.

i wish i had a good line of sight of my cross pipe and collector on my turbo, that is just a work of art!. i have it all wrapped up in fiberform tape tho.

Edited by CHIM

I'm working on fixing my EA81 exhaust (have holes and cracks). I was going to replace part of the drivers side Y-pipe and weld up another crack. I was wondering, if I made a straight pipe exhaust (like a header) and eliminate the cat, would I have problems tuning the factory carb? I would like to Weber in the future but can't right now. Thanks.

I'm working on fixing my EA81 exhaust (have holes and cracks). I was going to replace part of the drivers side Y-pipe and weld up another crack. I was wondering, if I made a straight pipe exhaust (like a header) and eliminate the cat, would I have problems tuning the factory carb? I would like to Weber in the future but can't right now. Thanks.

Nope, won't mess ya up, if your making a new Y pipe just watch your angles on the collector. on the collectors i build i make a seperator. lot of people don't wich causes a bit more than desirable back preasure.

Nope, won't mess ya up, if your making a new Y pipe just watch your angles on the collector. on the collectors i build i make a seperator. lot of people don't wich causes a bit more than desirable back preasure.

Collector? Is that like the cat, but without all the junk? Any pics?

I bought a dual inlet cat and used that as my y pipe, I think it was for an

f-150?? anyway that worked awesome I don't have any pics tonight but if anyone would like to see that setup I would be more than willing to take pics!

I wouldn't mind seeing that as well!:)

That would be great!:)

ok, so i was unable to find that collector, covered in snow somwhere on the property. it's the one i had on my car before i decided to go duels. a friend of mine has a car with a collector that i built tho, ill talk him into bringing it over for a pic.

ok, so i was unable to find that collector, covered in snow somwhere on the property. it's the one i had on my car before i decided to go duels. a friend of mine has a car with a collector that i built tho, ill talk him into bringing it over for a pic.

Thanks, I hope this isn't any trouble, pictures speak a 1000 words!

Sorry it took me so long to get these, The cars kind of in a shed right now and behind some stuff you know how it is :rolleyes: Anyway this is what I did (my dad has a pipe bender at his shop so that made it easy!) It sounds really good too!

4-1.jpg?t=1294364868

3-3.jpg?t=1294364868

2-3.jpg?t=1294364868

1-5.jpg?t=1294364868

Sorry it took me so long to get these, The cars kind of in a shed right now and behind some stuff you know how it is :rolleyes: Anyway this is what I did (my dad has a pipe bender at his shop so that made it easy!) It sounds really good too!

Thanks for the pics! looks good.

Chim, your buddy ever bring his car by for you to get the pic? I like what 1982gl4 did on his, just like to see other variations.

Off subject. I was reading another post you had made in reference to picture sizes. I run a mac also and was wondering what you did to downsize your pics.

• 2 weeks later...

i am about to do a little exhaust work and i would also like to clean up the engine bay while i am at it..

my questions: can i also remove these components?

Photo0073.jpg

Photo0072.jpg

also: what size exhaust studs did you use? can i just toss the exhaust plate and cut/weld/extend the header pipe and re-use the stock exhaust manifold nuts