Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So...tell me a little bit about the 4 speed d/r

Getting close to getting all my parts for the manual/4wd swap.

Would like to know a little bit on how the 4 speed d/r works (using the 4 speed for now)

is it like a pick up transfer case with 2 high, 4 high, 4 low, and a neutral? can you shift from high/low on the fly or need to be in neutral? can you shift from 4wd to 2wd on the fly?

when in 2wd is it FWD or RWD?

thanks.

The 4wd and hi/low are, in stock form, linked to a pull-up lever. With the lever down, you are in 2Hi. Pull up one notch, and you are in 4HI, pull up all the way and you are in 4Low.

Shifting is done on the fly, just needing to depress the clutch if you are in gear. 4WD is for loose/slippery surfaces only, as there is no center differential to accommodate differing rotation speeds.

2WD is FWD.

ummmm? I thought a D/R was 4-hi only and the GL was 4-Hi and 4-Low?

My 88 DL wagon, (with push button on shifter) was only Hi, but the Transmission that came out of my 88 Gl into my brat was HI/Low with center lever to pull up on.

? ahh. my bad I miss read post...

Edited by Indrid cold

thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it!

one more for ya...whats the speed at around 3500-4000rpm in 4th gear in 4 low?

Subaru changed the 3rd and 4th gear ratios beginning with the 83 model year. So the speed in 4-low will depend on what year the transmission is from.

Someone recently posted a pic of the label which tells you to depress the clutch when shifting to 4WD. I think it was out friend from Honduras - Loyale 2.7Turbo.

And let's not forget the first 4speed hi/lo where you yanked the lever towards you - downward. 1981 BRAT

Many of us wish it was RWD when in 2WD .... :headbang: but no aaron , these cars are all dedicated FWD

Cheers!

ummmm? I thought a D/R was 4-hi only and the GL was 4-Hi and 4-Low?

My 88 DL wagon, (with push button on shifter) was only Hi, but the Transmission that came out of my 88 Gl into my brat was HI/Low with center lever to pull up on.

?

If it was 4 hi only, why would it be called a dual range?

I rallyX a 84GL for a few years, you do not need low range.
Craig is correct. In high you'll be in 1st or 2nd; in Low you'll be in 2nd and 3rd. My experience with the Brat was that when in 4 Low, the transmission would pop out of 4 Low if you really got on it or hit a bump the wrong way.:eek: The bad part was that when it popped out it wound up between Hi and Lo and you had no gear connected until you pulled up again or pushed it down into High.