Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Bumper Interest?

sube101

I work in a production mandrel bending shop. So I have access to huge mandrel benders that could manufacture bumpers cost effectively. I'm wondering how much interest is in this?

What type of designs would you guys be interested in?

One of our CNC benders:

350500tools.jpg

Our level of welding:

exh3.jpg

headers-finished.jpg

If i may make some suggestions, it would be neat to see a proper exhaust header, and also, tubular rear trailing arms! it looks as if you had an original set as cores, you can cut the seam welds and separate the bearing hub part, and build a trailing arm with lift integrated, or at least longer to keep the caster correct with a lift kit.

If you couls reprodice a y pipe, eother to spec, or something more performance oriented that fits a stock dimension, you would have a market for us in the rusty midwest.

Maybe you could reproduce the 'A' style push bars for a stock appearance, new manufacture.

Another great idea would be a plow mount to adapt to the subaru a universal ATV plow like cycle country or moose, with a winch mount to raise and lower, that ties in with the middle of the engine crossmember, and the tow loops on the body.

Edited by MilesFox

Real headers for H6's would be loved i bet... the obx ones are fairly pointless since they are really just cat deleter pipes.

As for a metal bumper, i think there was a former member who had just about a perfect design for OBWs.

frontal2.jpg

clean.jpg

First off, that needs a pair of D-shackles welded on, then add a place to mount a winch, a stinger bar to mount driving lights, putting fogs where he currently has driving lights, and delete the honeycomb plate metal and that is one killer design, IMO. You could keep the honeycomb too i guess.. just seems.. unnecessary. Hope i don't upset anyone showing off this design by a former member.... also.. sorry for the huge size

Edited by lesstutrey

If you can mass produce and ship for a reasonable price put me up on the list for a front and rear set.

I would LOVE to see a prototype for them. My input for the designs would be simple: have d shackles for recovery points, maybe light mounts on front, tow hitch incorporated into rear bumper would be awesome. Low pro and simple is all id want.

Id totally be open for a set, no question. No one makes these thing for old Subies anymore and around here the 4x4 shops rip people off like mad. Would be sweet to get a bolt on set for a good price.

pure and simple.you will get tons of interest till you put out a price tag.even now numbers of people that are willing to spend good money on the skill level you put out are slim.....

the cost to labor ratio is way to high for the subie crowd.

no one wants to spend the money it takes to have a good looking and functional product.

there have been several folks put out great stuff, with fairly good prices really.....just not what most of these folks would pay.

:horse:

thats why i just spent the money i would have spent on a bumper on a jd2 tubing bender......because i could make anything i wanted after that.....hydraulic coinversion made it easier yet.....swivel top bracketry for tight spaces....easier yet....

anyways ,i am curious to see how this works out, again............

cheers not jeers, b

Edited by monstaru

You shut it, you!!! :dead: lol, just kidding. I want bumpers!

Yea, the important thing to me would be make a prototype OR some sketches of the design.

A design similar to this would be AWESOME. These are the ones i was going to buy for my Tracker before i wrecked it and bent the frame.

http://www.trailtough.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/Suzuki_Sidekick__48ceb1bfbc75f.jpg

http://www.trailtough.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/Suzuki_Sidekick__48ceb22c41844.jpg

I like the idea I am going to have to agree with monstaru on this one tho.... But its a great idea i hope you can get a few customers!!!

PS. But I could really use a bender to do my exhaust right now.... all the cutting and welding is killing me :banghead:zzz:banghead::banghead:

I like the idea I am going to have to agree with monstaru on this one tho.... But its a great idea i hope you can get a few customers!!!

PS. But I could really use a bender to do my exhaust right now.... all the cutting and welding is killing me :banghead:zzz:banghead::banghead:

I have a mandrel bender, and I live in Snohomish...

Just a suggestion, you might also consider making a bullbar for 01-04 OBWs, seems like those might sell as the cost would be fairly low, and relatively easy fab, and only minor changes to current bumper and allows for light mounting. Add a cross bar at clearance level and it's a real useful piece of pipe.

alot of those ideas are excellent. we can do the y pipes if we can get an original one down here. we would be able to ship any where in the world. and the bumpers would need to be simple. the more welds the higher the cost. the more cnc the cheaper. the bullbars would be a for sure thing we can start doing. but does any one know the year range where these parts would fit universally?

I'm looking at another australian who is making bullbar/brush guards. He has them listed like this

1996-9/1998 Outbacks mount the same

10/1998-9/2003 Outbacks mount the same

10/2003-MY 2009 Outbacks mount the same

10/09-Current Outbacks Mount the same

Pre 06/2002 Foresters mount the same

06/2002-06/2005 Foresters mount the same

07/2005-02/2008 Foresters mount the same

03/2008-current Foresters mount the same

As for other cars.. ask someone else.. i dunno older scoobies, but plenty of guys here do... the list from MilesFox is probably correct, but i am unsure. My lists are IDENTICAL mounts, no differences.

Edited by lesstutrey

I'm looking at another australian who is making bullbar/brush guards. He has them listed like this

1996-9/1998 Outbacks mount the same

10/1998-9/2003 Outbacks mount the same

10/2003-MY 2009 Outbacks mount the same

10/09-Current Outbacks Mount the same

Pre 06/2002 Foresters mount the same

06/2002-06/2005 Foresters mount the same

07/2005-02/2008 Foresters mount the same

03/2008-current Foresters mount the same

As for other cars.. ask someone else.. i dunno older scoobies, but plenty of guys here do... the list from MilesFox is probably correct, but i am unsure. My lists are IDENTICAL mounts, no differences.

my list may include 79 for some models, but are all the same template

• 3 weeks later...

unfortunatley prototyping has been delayed till next weekend because the guy that was going to drop the outback off had to go out of town, instead i will start with a first gen bumper then ill work with an 86 any suggestions for the first gen style?

I second the first gen, as long as the price is right. :) a bull bar would be sweet but a bumper with a bull bar would also be cool, but what ever u make i Would definately be interested. Something like what was on the pic of that outback would look realy nice on a first gen legacy. Definately post pics when u get it done. Oh ya, if u could make a mounting spot for a wench on it that would be three thumbs up.

unfortunatley prototyping has been delayed till next weekend because the guy that was going to drop the outback off had to go out of town, instead i will start with a first gen bumper then ill work with an 86 any suggestions for the first gen style?

Id say keep it simple with some good approach angles. Doesnt NEED a stinger or winch mount, just keep it a simple bolt on tube bumper and it would probably sell.

If you wanted to design it with areas to mount stingers or winch plates that would be a nice option. Make it easy to fit a stinger for those who want it, but keep the bumper basic for people who just want a nice little aftermarket tube piece.