Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2005 Forester Oil Dipstick

I have a 2005 Forester with almost 190,000 miles on it, which has been in excellent condition until recently. We've started burning oil, not surprising for the mileage as I understand it, and I know we need to get that checked, but my current concern is with the dipstick. We noticed our oil was getting low very quickly about 4 weeks ago, so we took to checking the oil level every few days to make sure we were keeping up with it. However, since about a week ago, every time we try to check the oil level, the dipstick comes up (after cleaning and reinserting it) coated with oil up almost 6 inches! We re-clean the dipstick, try it again multiple times, but get the same coating each time. We've tried with the engine hot, cool for an hour, and cold overnight, same result. What does this mean, and how can we fix it?

I have a 2005 Forester with almost 190,000 miles on it, which has been in excellent condition until recently. We've started burning oil, not surprising for the mileage as I understand it, and I know we need to get that checked, but my current concern is with the dipstick. We noticed our oil was getting low very quickly about 4 weeks ago, so we took to checking the oil level every few days to make sure we were keeping up with it. However, since about a week ago, every time we try to check the oil level, the dipstick comes up (after cleaning and reinserting it) coated with oil up almost 6 inches! We re-clean the dipstick, try it again multiple times, but get the same coating each time. We've tried with the engine hot, cool for an hour, and cold overnight, same result. What does this mean, and how can we fix it?

It may very well mean that you were not taking accurate readings before and NOW you are very over full

keep the stick out overnight and then check it...that should be a very accurate reading

keep the stick out overnight and then check it...that should be a very accurate reading

That's what I do to my Outback 2.5. I keep the dipstick in my garage and plug the dipstick tube with something to keep dirt from getting in. I check the oil level after the car has been sitting overnight on a level surface. I find the reading more reliable/consistent this way. If I need to check with a warm/hot engine, I wait at least 30 minutes after shutting down engine. With a warm engine, the oil level is a little higher due to thermal expansion.