Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brake Light on cold starts --'96 Legacy OBW

My '96 legacy obw ej22 recently turned 200,000:banana:(and many thanks to all of you here who have helped keep her going), but unfortunately the brake light has started coming on at cold starts. More accurately, when I put down the parking brake (it's a 5spd), the light doesn't go off right away. Generally it goes off after the first hard-ish brake, or after I've been driving for a few minutes (but always when I am braking). My fluid isn't low, so I'm not really sure what else could be causing it.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

How are the pads?

My daughter's 97 had a similar issue as the weather got colder a month ago. Turns out the front pads were almost gone (without any warning). New front pads and a flush of the brake fluid and no more light.

there's a few other threads just like yours - if you scroll to the bottom left of this screen you'll see some of the exact same questions as you're asking with quite a few suggestions.

remove the master cylinder cap and reinstall it.

float may be sticking and mis-reading.

you're sure there's plenty of fluid?

Edited by grossgary

Thanks for pointing out those other threads...for some reason I couldn't find them when I searched.

I'm gonna try taking off the cap and putting it back on tomorrow, and maybe jiggling the sensor.

I'll let you all know how it goes...

I've recently checked the fluid level, and it looks pretty good -- just a hair below the max line. This combined w/ the fact that I changed the pads and fluid about 1yr/20,000mi ago, makes me thing it isn't the pads or the fluid level.

I also have a relatively new battery, and I replaced my alternator back in July, but I know that I am having some weird electrical issues....When I'm idling at night with the heat on the headlights dim when I step on the brakes. Def seems like there isn't always quite enough power, but I'm not sure that's the problem here, as the light always seems to go off when I step on the brakes.