Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 VS EJ18 Power ?????

So I did a search to see if EJ18's have as much power as an EJ22 but the seach came up with 60 bazzillion results that didnt hit what I was lookin for. So My question is, In the EJ world, do 18's have as much power as a 22? With my new tires I need more power, the EA81 is not cutting it. Any info is good info................. unless you dont have one and you are just assuming.............:)

Jeff

Well if it's effectively the same engine with 400CC of extra displacement in the EJ22 its pretty likely that is has more :)

Here's some info:

EJ18 Specifications

* Displacement: 1820 cc

* Bore: 87.9 mm

* Stroke: 75.0 mm

* Compression Ratio: 9.5:1 - 9.7:1

* Valvetrain: SOHC

* Fuel Delivery single point fuel injection

EJ181

* Horsepower: 110 PS (81 kW; 108 bhp) @ 6000 rpm

* Torque: 149.1 N·m (110 lb·ft) @ 3200 rpm

EJ182

* Horsepower: 115 PS (85 kW; 113 bhp) @ 6000 rpm

* Torque: 154.0 N·m (114 lb·ft) @ 4500 rpm

EJ183

* Horsepower: 120 PS (88 kW; 118 bhp) @ 5600 rpm

* Torque: 163.8 N·m (121 lb·ft) @ 3600 rpm

EJ22E Specifications

2.2 litre

AUDM Subaru EJ22E

135 bhp (101 kW) @ 5800 rpm 140 ft·lbf (190 N·m) @ 4800 rpm Australian model - 100 kW (130 hp) @ 6000 rpm 189 N·m (139 ft·lbf) @ 4800 rpm Usage:

* Legacy 90-96

* Impreza 93-96

[edit] EJ22T

Phase one 2.2 Liter SOHC Turbo, 163 bhp (122 kW; 165 PS) fully closed deck, oil squirters, no intercooler

* Legacy 1991-1994 (North American-spec)

[edit] EJ22G

Phase two 2.2 litre closed deck

* Displacement: 2212 cc

* Bore: 96.9 mm

* Stroke: 75.0 mm

* Compression Ratio: 8.0:1

* Valvetrain: DOHC

* Fuel Delivery multi point fuel injection

EJ22G Turbo DOHC

* Horsepower: 280 PS (206 kW; 276 bhp) @ 6000 rpm

* Torque: 362.8 N·m (268 lb·ft) @ 3200 rpm

Usage:

* Impreza STi 22B GC8 series(JDM)

* Legacy STi BF7 and BFB series wagon (JDM)

not sure why you couldn't find it searching, it's all over the place. including here: good lay out comparison here:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=93074

either is a huge jump over the EA81, seems like both would be awesome. many folks have done the swaps, i'd personally value their experiences over just hp and engine comparisons. lots of threads about EJ swaps.

The 1.8's were a little less powerful than a 2.2 as the list above states, but you can not kill one of the 1.8's I had on in my 97 impreza and that car took a beating :horse: the only part left on it now (after the next owner crashed it into a river) is the engine, and it still runs great! In an EA car I would think that they would have plenty of power, and get pretty good milage at the same time!

my 0.2

If you're trying to turn big tires, the biggest displacement motor you can get is what you want. EJ25d with EJ22 dual port heads would be a good combo, but you have to buy premium gas.

EJ18's are OK, and an improvement over an EA, but you have to wind them up to get good power out of them. Last one I beat on was a junkyard car, FWD only, took it up the access road to the cellphone tower up the mountain behind the junkyard. Came back without the exhaust, instant .5hp gain! Oil pans are surprisingly malleable.

hey phil!

the first generation EJ22's are the best, from what i understand. that would be 89-94 legacy. Thats what my new leggo is.

you get dual port heads without all the head gasket issues the later models had. Its OBD-1 EFI, and the 4EAT that comes attached is real bombproof.

Desmond jones has a EJ22 swap in his brat, one of the later model higher output ones from a late 90's impreza i think. The swap was kinda hacked together with some electrical issues, also issues with cooling, and a nasty habit of breaking CV shafts.

Also, the gearing of the EA trans and axles is too low.

Personally, i think the brats are great with the EA81. In the next year or so i'd like to have mine running the high compression EA71 pistons, a weber carb, and the delta cam, with some porting hoping for 110-120 hp and better than 25 mpg.

besides the EJ's loose that wonderful asymmetrical exhaust note that i've come to love so dearly.

My knock sensor aint even plugged in and the motor is just fine

That's great, your motor will run with only the crank and throttle postition sensors plugged in too, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't run better with all those other sensors hooked up too.

Knock sensor lets the ECU optimise the timing for whatever grade of gas you put in, and the condition of the motor/carbon buildup and intake air temp. More power/better gas millage, who the hell wants that.

If you're going to take the time to strip down a harness, might as well start with one that's the best equipped and most flexible, just incase you want to go to a 2.5 w/ 2.2 heads on it, which certainly needs a knock sensor, at some point down the road.

I've got an EJ18 in my Wheeler. Running a 235/75/15 and it's got plenty of guts. Mt theory is that for wheeling, I wanted the durability, better heat dispersment capacity, and smooth, high revving of the EJ18. They have roller cams so they will pull 5500 RPM all day in the sand or the mud happily.

Also, we are already pushing trannies and axles and diffs to the max with these lifted rigs. So I feel like the EJ18 is a compramise between "just enough" power and to "way too much" is better.

Now my non-lifted, 89 GL has a 96 EJ22 with a S/R pushbutton 4wd 5spd. That's for street and has ssomewhat smaller tires. (205/70/15)

Re: EJ22 VS EJ18 Power ?????

If wireing wasnt such a big hastle for me this would of been one of the 1st swaps i would of done. Lots to be said for more power even for a regular 13inch wheel non lifted daily commuter car.

I totally agree. 2WD XT + EJ18 equals = :grin:MPG FTW

My knock sensor aint even plugged in and the motor is just fine

EJ22, just because the harness has the knock sensor wiring and EJ18's don't have provisions for that.

:clap: Right you are, sir. EJ18's do not have provisions for it. The knock sensor is one of the many gauges that can be used by a car user for tuning their vehicle.

You will not have issues putting them in.

FTW! :headbang:

Yes, a EJ18 block can have the knock sensor put on it, but the EJ18 harness has no provision for it. So, it's better to use an EJ22 or 25d harness with the knock sensor wiring already integrated. That gives you flexibility on what motor you end up switching to in the future.

Depends on the year, if you go with an obdII 1.8 they had a knock sensor, or at least the harness I'm dealing with right now has one (1997 Brighton 1.8), but not many people have done an obdII swap so there isn't as much info about it. Another option would be running a 1.8 with a 2.2 harness.

This is a little off topic but i think it is relevant. How would a dual carb EA81 stand up to a EJ18 swap?

EDIT: Parts car!

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/pts/2195989311.html

Jeff, this is the guy i bought my legacy from. he lives about a mile from my house. want me to contact him?

Edited by Markus56