Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brakes mysteriously dissapeared

I left my 98 impreza l parked for a few weeks because I needed to replace a rear wheel bearing and the snow piled up a little too deep and the temps got a little to cold. So yesterday I swept off the remaining snow to start it and take it for a little warm up drive. To my surprise the brakes were oddly week. I popped the hood and the previously full reservoir was basically empty. I refilled it but it's not going to be that simple. Any ideas?

I would suppose a leak at either of two areas may be a possibility. Place some cardboard under the area below the m/cyl and under that area behind rear seat. There is the possible freezing of the vacuum assist diaphagm wher it cracked and sucked by eng vac. I'm short for someone else who knows these better may have the answer. I just was trying because it's too freakin cold.

the low fluid - you're assuming you're loosing fluid then? really low pads can cause the fluid to be low too, but sounds like you're implying you're loosing it?

brakes are either really warn and need replaced and the cold caused the fluid level to go down too low and sucked in air.

or you have a leak somewhere. brake calipers can leak and the drum cylinders are common to leak too. as well as the metal brake lines in the rear can leak too. leak could be where they pass above the rear crossmember and you won't notice any fluid until it finally overflows all the crevices, dirt, and grime and starts to drip.

I had a similar experience on one of my cars back a few years. Put the brakes on to start the car and the pedal went to the floor. Odd because I'd driven the car 2 days before with no problems.

In my case the car was in the garage and there was brake fluid under the driver's side of the car, below the firewall. The master cylinder had a seal leak. A trip to the auto parts store for a remanufactured master cylinder solved the issue. After bench bleeding the new MC, reattaching the brake lines to the MC and filling the reservoir with brake fluid, I again had brakes.

In your case you need to find out where you are losing brake fluid. Its a bad flex hose, a leaking caliper or rear wheel brake cylinder, a leaking brake line or coupling, or the master cylinder itself. Once you've found the leak, then you can make the repairs. Good Luck.

That big of a leak should be easy to spot.

However I can`t see any leak draining both sides of the reservoir unless the reservoir itself is cracked or got bumped.

If no leaks are found in the usual places,I would suspect the master cylinder is leaking into the brake booster.May or may not show externally.

If so,you need to remove the booster and flush it out.

Within what seems minutes assistance:clap: My earlier notion of the vacuum assist was incorrect on a few points. First off. it is difficult to type diaphraghm when bladder is easy. 2nd if it is ruptured there could be evidence in the hose which should be dry.

Within what seems minutes assistance:clap: My earlier notion of the vacuum assist was incorrect on a few points. First off. it is difficult to type diaphraghm when bladder is easy. 2nd if it is ruptured there could be evidence in the hose which should be dry.

Bad brake booster won`t cause fluid loss.

My 98 Outback had a front Drivers side caliper that would only leak when it very cold. It was in WI for a winter, leaked just a bit. 3 years later, it was parked up in Denver at the airport when it was -3 and it leaked like a sive.

Just replaced the caliper last night.