Ultimate Subaru Message Board

First year Outback Fog Light question - What bulb?

I have a 95 Legacy Outback Wagon. This was the 1st year for the Outback, and it has small clear fog lights set into the lower bumper. (In 96 and later, Subaru used the large lights that everyone is used to seeing.)

Can anyone tell me what bulb fits the 95 Outback foglight? I can find this unique foglight assembly on the Subaru parts fiche online, and I can see that Subaru wants $20 for the bulb, but I can't tell what bulb it is. Any suggestions?

My owner's manual is for the generic Legacy, and so it doesn't have the bulb information for this Outback-specific feature.

Thanks everyone!

Thanks for the reply, GeneralDisorder, sir!

I have pulled the fog light assembly, and I'm stumped on how to open it. It looks like this.

84501fa380.JPG

Anyone know how to open this up? There is a large finned cover on the back that looks like it ought to turn off, but I can only turn it about a half inch. I don't want to start prying at it, because I'm afraid I'll break it. I'm sure it hasn't been opened since it was assembled in Indiana 16 years ago.

Here's another view

7521035.gif

Looking at this, it seems like the back ought to turn off. I can turn it about 1/2 inch without much difficulty, but then it stops and won't budge. Packers are going to win, so turn off the TV and tell me how to open this puppy up!

It's likely just a twist-loc style thing - you turn it about 1/2" and then it pulls out (the tabs disengage). It may give a little resistance because there's an o-ring in there to prevent water instrusion.

From the diagram that looks like a 9001. I would be willing to bet......

Heh - good thing I'm not a sports fan huh? I'm assembling a new rolling tool cart. :lol:

GD

I put a strap wrench on it, and it finally budged!

Now to figure out what the replacement fulb is. The bulb inside is very small. It is the kind that has a wire lead attached. It says on it 64151 Osram Germany. On the other side it says 37R 00620 12V 55W. Then, at the very bottom near the bulb it has the magic words, "H3".

So, it is probably an H3 bulb. My mission now is to find some H3's in AMBER, for conspicuity.

Kind of a pain to get to this little bulb. Had to pull part of the protective panels on the chassis off to get to the lamp assembly. If subaru had just put a few more inches on the wire, it could have just come out the front of the bumper. Still, if I don't have to replace them for another 15 years, I should be happy.

Yup.

H3 55W bulbs.

I got the Hella opilux XY yellows in mine and love them dearly. Don't know how you removed it your fog assembly but if you lay on your back and look up at it you will see 2 10mm or 12mm bolts holding the bracket in there. Then it will pretty much fall out after that.

IMG_20100903_211702.jpg

Edited by Durania

Don't know how you removed it your fog assembly but if you lay on your back and look up at it you will see 2 10mm or 12mm bolts holding the bracket in there. Then it will pretty much fall out after that.

Yes, I removed the two bolts, but the fixture would not come forward out of the bumper because the wire was too short. Also, there was not enough room around the fixture to allow me to reach in and unplug it. So, it came out the bottom, after remove a belly-pan thing.