Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hi, i have a 1999 subaru outback legacy wagon. I am trying to disconect the electrical connector at the fuel pump which according to my book pg4-3 is located in the trunk underneath the carpet liner. I am not trying to do too much interior damage. I am hoping someone can direct me towards where the connection is if i am facing the trunk in respect to the upper left, lower left, upper right, lower right corners of the trunk wit the tire being the center of these directions.

another question i have is...i have already disconected my intake. and according to the book i have to start the car to relieve my fuel pressure. is it possible to start my car and relieve the fuel pressure while my intake is disconected?

Edited by alvaro quinonez

If you have removed the fuel line from theintake, then you hae already relieved any pressure.

Otherwise, my advice is to wrap a rag or paper towel over the fitting while you disconnect it, to soak up any spilled fuel.

the access panel will be immediately behind the passenger rear seat back. fold the seat down, and you should be able to lift up the carpet to expose the access panel.

don't mess with all of that.

wrap a rag around the fuel line leaving the filter and pull it off. the rag will soak up the fuel, if any, and then carry the rag out side to evaporate. there isn't that much pressure. or that much fuel. just make sure you have a rag handy and that your drop light , if you have one isn't near by.

by the way, if you haven't disconnected the battery yet you need to. you don't want sparks floating around.

usually by the time i get around to working on a car, it has been sitting so long there isn't any pressure at all.

If it has been sitting for a day or more, loosen the fuel cap to relieve any pressure in the tank, and just pop your lines off. No need to try and start the car to relieve line pressure, if it has been sitting it has already bled off. But the vapor in the tank can push gas out through the fuel hoses, loosening the filler cap will equalize in-tank pressure with atmospheric pressure so only a minimal amount of fuel will come out of the line.