Ultimate Subaru Message Board

no oil pressure at all

3 weeks ago I rebuilt the oil pump ( 88 gl10 turbo. ) it got rid of the tick and the intermittant oil light. running 10w30 hi mileage with a little stp in it. seemed great, today the light came on while my wife was going to work and the tick was back. Light does not shut off at all now and lifters tic. I changed the oil ( synthetic 10w30 and factory filter )- no change. Has something else let go? If I search I come up with the "too many" notice regarding terms. Thanks- I am really getting depressed...:(

well as many other members will tell you on here those old ea82s have a habit of ticking quite a lot. it may be possible to fix but often people just let em tick and they are known to go for thousands of miles that way before anything goes bad. if there is NO oil pressure at all though then that may be some sort of problem with the oil pump you put in it.

Could it have something to do with the spring that controls pressure to the cam sprayers? If so , is it servicable with the engine still in the car? It looks like if I need to buy another pump , a NA motors would work. There is one on ebay but their feedback is only 97%...

yep , using the little one it came with. I drove it around the corner - ticking bad. I hit the hi point in the road and coasted in neutral to my friend's garage ( where my tools are ). Right before I shut it down an audible alarm sounded. Scary , I hope I didn't score a bearing or hurt the turbo. BTW - thanks for the reply , either not many people on the board lately or everyone is really sick of this topic. I know I am.

In situations like this I always ask myself exactly what I have done since the problem occured.

In your case the initial problem was slightly ticky lifters and intermitent oil light.

Now you have oil light on and ticky lifters.

In my opinion it is not a new problem. It is one you have created. Go over ALL you steps to find out where you went wrong.

Last time I was in your situation I had replaced the flywheel messed with the igition and carb. All of a sudden the engine ran like a dog. I was convinced it was a igition problem and a mechanic told me it was the carb.

After 3 painfull and depressing weeks having replaced the igition system and rebuilt the carb a number of times I finally realised that the timing marks on the new flywheel were about 30 degrees out from my origional flywheel!

Reset timing and I was on my way.

So don't dispare. The answer will be there somewhere.

regarding changing anything- no. Actually I hadn't even opened the hood since rebuilding the pump except to add wiper fluid. It seemed to be a success , 3 weeks ago I buttoned it up - tick was gone , oil light was gone, took it up to 100 , ran great. All of a sudden , 3 weeks later, light goes on fill time and ticks are back with a vengeance. You can definitely tell that it has no oil pressure , I just don't know how it could go from great to 0 instantly. If the cam squirters and stuff don't make that much of a difference , i have to assume I did not torque something down enough or something let go.

Dirk , could you describe the procedure you mentioned in your last post , I am not familiar with that?

BTW , thanks for the replies - I am going to start digging into it after work today.

Edited by swampbrat
forgot detail

Well , I got it apart. Apparantly the nut holding the wheel on the pump worked loose. I wallowed out the hole in the drive wheel so now it just spins on the shaft. Anyone have one? It is an 88 EA82T , let me know how much $ , I can paypal you or send a money order - but I need to get this thing out of my friend's garage asap. Thanks!:banghead: