Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm definately losing brake fluid. I had the lines from the rear splitter to the wheels redone a year ago and all that is dry. None of the lines in the engine compartment are wet either. I don't see any spots of DOT 3 anywhere!!! Any ideas for troubleshooting?

It might not. I do not know if there is any sort of weep hole on that particular booster; if not it would probably collect between the M/C and the booster diaphragm. Also, if the diaphragm is ruptured, it can suck fluid into the booster's vacuum line.

I should have asked: What makes you think that you are losing fluid? Was there a sudden drop in fluid level? If not, is it possible that it is just brake wear causing the pads and/or shoes to extend further out and needing extra fluid to keep them out?

Another thing I should have asked is what car this on. I am assuming a Legacy based on username. Rear disc or drum brake? (Drum brakes can hide leaks.) ABS? (Does not sound like this is a concern if all engine compartment lines/fittings look dry.) Does the brake pedal "feel" normal?

Disc calipers don't hide piston leaks very well, you checked the engine compartment plumbing for leaks, and the rear junction/splitter(/proportioning valve?). If you have looked at the lines to the wheels and the plumbing going back to the rear splitter, I can't think of much other than the master cylinder. (I am not sure if the ABS pump can leak internally; just haven't paid attention.) Occasionally spongy brake pedal might point at the MC.

I hope others chime-in in case I am overlooking something. Otherwise, I might look into partially separating the MC from the booster to see if any fluid leaks out. Just for grins, might pull the vacuum line loose from the booster and check for wetness in the line (doubt that it will be, but easily enough to check anyway).

Engine running stand on the brake pedal repeatedly for about 20 seconds at a time for a few minutes. If you have a leak, you will feel the pedal will sink, and after repeated application, any fluid leakage should be evident on the ground or someplace on the car. Of course, having a dry place to work helps.

I'm definately losing brake fluid. I had the lines from the rear splitter to the wheels redone a year ago and all that is dry. None of the lines in the engine compartment are wet either. I don't see any spots of DOT 3 anywhere!!! Any ideas for troubleshooting?

look under the seat