Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thanks in advance for any advice:

I have a 2002 Subaru Legacy GT Limited with about 90k on it. I've noticed the engine vibrates a little when I start it in cold weather - no big surprise there - but vibrates A LOT when the engine is still cold and I'm idling with the car in drive.

I've had it tuned up recently and a couple mechanics have said things look good. Any idea what could be going on or what I can do to fix it?

Not a huge issue but annoys the hell out of me!

In October of 2010 I had head gaskets replaced along with spark plugs and spark plug wires because there was a crack in head gaskets.

At that time they also replaced water pump, thermostat, timing belt and timing belt tensioner.

A couple months later I had it in to a different mechanic for a tune up because of the vibration - which was present prior to all the work above and was much better after it - and I think they just checked spark plugs and wires.

Sorry for the confusion. The vibration is happening when the engine is cold and I'm stopped at a red light, for example. Not so much when I'm in park, and goes away once the car is warmed up.

I had the transmission flushed a few months ago.

So the verdict is put in NGK plugs, OEM wires and check mounts and axles?

Thanks!

Sounds like a plan. Remember OEM plug wires only on a 2.5.

The order you try things is up to you.

Yes, OEM plug wires, or Bosch, I have had good performance from Bosch wires. Bosch and OEM wires cost about the same. It is the cheapie wire sets from the auto part stores that perform badly and cause problems.