Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rear disc brake conversion problems need help!!????

85wagon

:banghead:im putting a set of rear disc brakes from a turbo model on my 85 gl,im having 2 problems #1. the brake pads only contact maybe an inch of the rotor leaving a half inch of the pad untouched by the rotor, the rotor is just under 9inch diameter #2 the bolts that hold the caliper bracket onto the backing plate are 1 1/2 inches long, so if i bolt them all the way tight they will be rubbing on the back of the rotor. so my questions are: am i putting these on wrong? or do i have the wrong backing plate or calipers?

:banghead: if the rear disc brakes are suppose to only have an inch of the pad touching the rotor leaving a half inch of the pad untouched anyone wanna buy a set of rear disc brakes lol:D

hi ,

you are using the wrong bolts to bolt the calipers on the backing plate/ caliper mount , the proper ones are shorter and do not stick through and rub. look for the white paint on the head. the part about the caliper being out too far and the pads not making full contact is only if you are using something other than 4-stud ea-82 xt/car/wagon backing plates ,, the xt6 plates will cause this because they use a bigger rear rotor than the 4-stud ones on ea-82 vehicles, and i don't know about ej parts. but if you get backing plates from a 4-stud xt / car / wagon the calipers/ pad fit will be correct.

will the xt6 ones work with the proper rotors or am i hosed? these rotors are 8.89 inches, do you think if i went and bought the xt6 rotors which are 10.07 around will work? i just wonder if the rear hub off the wagon will fit inside the xt6's rotor. and too think i thought this was a plugg and play sort of a gig....... nothing you think will be easy is EVER easy lol 1st rule of mechanics easy=:banghead:

Edited by 85wagon

XT6s are 5-lug, and have a very different rotor design.

Something definitely isn't right, but we're just shooting in the dark....can you get some pictures of what you've got? then we might be able to tell if you've got the wrong parts, or maybe have them together wrong...

they are xt6 backing plates the guy i got them from just e-mailed me and said he did have xt6 parts lying around, i really appriciate the help. i was lost and i found usmb and im so gratfull!!! thank you kindly all!

Edited by 85wagon