Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Intercooler Install

I am installing my intercooler on my 86 xt right now, the question is with my xt now running a intercooler is a blow off valve needed, if so what vac line do I need to attach to the bov?

Depending on what IC you use (WRX) some will come with a recirc valve.

You dont really want to use a BOV.

One line goes to the intake manifold and the larger line goes to the intake prior to the turbo.

So to do an intercooler on these all you need to do is hook it up in between the turbo and intake? No need for BOV or anything? Seems easy. I have one Ive been waiting to install because i thought it was beyond my skill.

Blow off valve has nothing to do with intercooling. It is there to release pressure when you have a decent turbo that can spool up fast building good pressure. If you have the thing floored making a lot of boost then completely let off the gas, you now have all that pressure and volume with no where to go. Without the BOV, it will back up into the turbo causing damage to the turbine, compressor, shaft or bearings. Depending on the back pressure and amount of times you do this, it could be damaged quickly or over a period of time. What kind of intercooler are you installing? Top or front mount? Front mount is ill advised. Serious lag time and an actual loss of performance. This applies to the XT, not in general.

The MAF adapter I got from someone on the forums. It was a few years ago, so I dont remember the details. Some folks go to Home Depot and get a dryer vent line connector. Not sure if this will work in all applications.

I made brackets to mount the IC to either side of the spare tire platform.