Ultimate Subaru Message Board

trouble shooting codes

according to the trouble shooting code on here ..

if i am reading it correctly

would that be the egr selnoid trouble

2 long 3 short

or is it 3 short 4 long

?? and i posted up on youtube and tell me if i am reading it correctly

and hopefully i am right if not let me know

and it may shed the light to why its kinda hard to start and a little bit of hesistation ..

ugh i just looked it up .. purge, coolant temp sensor and egr selnoid..

looks like i will have to either hit up junk yard or order new parts

and thank you guys you all peeps have helped me out tons.... and this place is the first place i stopped in to get information out of here .

got it running a while back timing and disty issues solved .. ran good for a while until it started to behaving badly like a spoiled little girl..

hi, those purge and egr solinoids are way expensive new and very easy to break the little hose nipple off which is usually what is broke. this creates a vac leak and disables the function , double trouble. if you can find good used ones they probably work. the coolent temp sensor problem is common and is the connection a lot of times, if you do a search here you can find the fix is usually a wire connection repair and sometimes the wires are bad several inches up into the harness. the sensor can be tested for proper resistance if you get the specs , someone can provide that.

Follow the big black can with the three hoses coming off of it that is at the front of the car, passenger side. That is the purge can and its hoses run right to its solenoid. The EGR sensor is right there as well (beside and kind of behind it it I think), one has a black connector and the other one has a white electrical connector (IIRC).

Search around here some more for the codes you are getting, there are ways to 'trick' the sensors (egr and purge) using 5w 33ohm resistors in place of the sensors, I have done it and it works - thanks to GD. You may have to plug a couple of vac lines but thats about it. Not sure what your junkyard options are like where you are at, but the ones around here won't carry anything older than a Legacy, so the 25 cent resistors were exponentially cheaper than the dealership price for a replacement sensor.

Alternately the CTS needs to be wired properly and the failures I have had were right under the rubber, right where that sensor meets the metal. So if the resistance across both sensor terminals is zero, check that the metal under the rubber is still intact.

Basically find and identify those two sensors (FSM will help you locate them and it can be found on here somewhere too), and solder/tape in the resistors.

The resistors that you put in are just going to take place of the sensors - so the ECU will think that the sensor is working because it is getting a proper ohm reading from the resistors and it will stop spitting codes. I just bend the male wires back enough to expose the contact point, then stuff the resistor wires in there - one in each side, then put a little drop of solder on them and wrap them up with electrical tape. Works every time. Search here for a FSM, it will help you identify the sensors, but they are right under the intake, passenger side and just to the right of the thermostat housing.

replaced the selnoid off from a toyota both of the selenoid but still throwing egr code.. i checked the selenoid both works but i am thinking maybe broken line somewhere along it .. so i would like to have some suggestion what i could do with it ?

i solved all other problems yay me ... but execpt the stupid ecu led light spitting error 34...... error 34 ... error 34 .. im like aw shaddap! i know you are complaining about the egr not working, tried new selenoid no help no go .. i checked to see if there is any open circuit without the selenoid .. and it is open thought i might have a break in the wire .. nope it tested out fine would it be a bad ecu ??... i still think something is not right so any ideas what i could do and its bugging the crap out of me so to my sheer defeat! i yanked the cel light out .... .. and i am back on this never ending bottomless pit of ultimate subaru message board .. begging for help to the subaru gods to help me out and hope i am not being punished for who ever did to the poor car before me :P

lol