Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I was at a Subaru dealer this afternoon buying some oil filters for our new 09 Outback. We were talking about the automatic transmission and the type of fluid that is in it. The parts manager, and a Subaru mechanic that was standing there, both said that the 09 would have come with synthetic transmission fluid. I had wanted to change it over to synthetic, and was going to ask all of you what kind you would recommend for that car.

Can an 09 would have come with synthetic ATF?

The owners manual says to use Subaru ATF, no surprise there. I do drive in the mountains continually, and sometimes pull a very light trailer - just a few bikes, or two sea kayaks.

In my MT cars I have always run synthetic, and I thought it would be a good idea in an AT too. I just don't know what kind of synthetic would be good. If the Subaru stuff realy is the best thing for the tranny, I'll run it happily. I was just surprised to hear that it IS synthetic.

I started a thread a year or so ago about my search for ATF for my GF's 06 Impreza.

After talking with the "scientist/tech" at WOlfs head I decided on their Synthetic Universal ATF. That was probably 100k ago and while I no longer see the lady had something gone wrong with the car I'm sure I would have heard about it!

Seems to me the specs changed again after 06 though and at that time it sounded like the dealer was the only choice.

Now there are some laws on this - but I wouldn't know how ot research this. VW recently ran into this with oil for their diesels.

Something about if a SPECIFIC BRAND of fluid is mandatory for like the first 100k miles or something it must be made available free of charge if you're unable to buy something meeting that specification in the open market. I'd imagine it'd be difficult to prove though.

Yeah, I was pretty excited to find out that it came with a synthetic fluid. I am just going to stick with the Subaru stuff. The only downside for me is the distance to the nearest dealer, but I don't have to think about it for at least a year.

Am I correct in thinking that it should be ok to go with Valvoline 75/90 synthetic in the differentials?

I did a quick google for subaru type j transmision fluid.

Here is one of the first links I have found.

Genuine Subaru Automatic Transmission Fluid Type-HP, Idemitsu ATF HP, Castrol Transmax J, and Pennzoil ATF-J.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/soas-response-amsoil-atf-65309.html?p=1247516

Royal Purple claims to be type J http://www.royalpurple.com/transmission-fluid.html

Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) might also work

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_internet/castrol/castrol_usa/STAGING/local_assets/downloads/p,q/pds_ImportMV.pdf

One of the most important specs I have read is the viscosity at 100 deg c should be around 7 +- 1 and the IDEMITSU ATF HP is also a generic standard.

I recently learned more than I wanted to know about the topic!

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=119325&mode=linear

A drain and fill with subaru hd fluid without a filter change every 72000 km is essentially all that is needed. (4 litres)

Edited by subaruplatt

This is great. Since this is my first auto, I have a lot to learn. One more thing, since I can't find a manual for this car yet, does it have a transmission filter, I mean a screw on filter, that I change when doing a drain and fill?

I have been told it doesn't and that it doesn't.

If it has a filter its screwed onto the left side of the transmission above the oil pan. Its said to be a lifetime filter. I replace them a lot because dumb shops talk people into replacing them, with a filter that isn't made for transmissions. Lots of generic Napa, WIX and other oil filters threaded on. I can get you one for about $35 if you ever need it but you shouldn't. I often wonder if they think they are changing the OIL filter by replacing this one.

2009 Legacy and Outback with the 4 and 5 speed automatic REQUIRE the SUBARU ATF-HP fluid. There are no substitutes available on the market at this time.

The Castrol Multi-ATF does not meet the requirements as of MY2007 and was phased out of the service manual by 2008 entirely. (Transmax-J alternative).

ATF-HP is synthetic.

Your ATF filter is located behind the battery and headlamp assembly in the fender well. This started in 2005/2006 on all Legacy platform vehicles including Tribeca.

Eventho SUBARU states its a lifetime filter, I have seen the long term effects of not changing it.

SUBARU also states the fluid is lifetime is you read the service and owners manual maintenance intervals. This is VERY untrue as well.

The ATF should be completely exchanged every 30,000 miles at the bare minimum. The filter should be changed during that service as well, or at least every 60,000 miles.

With out changing the fluid, you will start getting problems around 50k miles and by 100k, you'll need a new transmission.

With out changing the filter, when you get to 90k~120k miles, you will start having problems as the filter becomes clogged with the materials that the transmissions sheds during its life.

If you change the fluid and filter, the transmission will last and operate flawlessly to at least the 300,000~320,000 mile mark. Unfortunately, I have never seen one in person last longer w/out having to be taken apart for some kind of repair.

Now there are some laws on this - but I wouldn't know how ot research this. VW recently ran into this with oil for their diesels.

Something about if a SPECIFIC BRAND of fluid is mandatory for like the first 100k miles or something it must be made available free of charge if you're unable to buy something meeting that specification in the open market. I'd imagine it'd be difficult to prove though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act

Basically, if a manufacture REQUIRES it and nothing else, they are to provide it to you free of charge. If not, they are violating federal law.

SUBARU is doing that with the 2011 turbo cars and N/A Forester that *REQUIRE* the subaru synthetic oil and nothing else or the warranty is void. I'm surprised no one has sued yet.

So is the consensus that a drain and fill with filter change every 30,000 is enough? Or, does it need to be drain and fill X 3 every time? I generally run my cars well past 200k so longevity matters to me.

I am just at 18k now, so I could easily start a transmission regiment at 25k or something if that is better.

That fluid is $10/ qt. So a drain and fill X 3 with filter is going to cost close to $200 if I am understanding it right.

And when you do a drain and fill X 3, do you put the new filter on at the first drain or the last?

If you dont have access to a transmission flush machine (which typically exchanges 12qts at a time) then I would do a drain and fill with 4qts every 15k miles and just keep that going until the end. Change the filter every 60k at a minimum.

If you do have access to a transmission flush machine, just flush it with 12qts every 30k miles and change the filter at 60k at least. I would do it every 30k if you have an extra $35.

Your ATF filter is located behind the battery and headlamp assembly in the fender well. This started in 2005/2006 on all Legacy platform vehicles including Tribeca.

I looked under the hood this morning, and I can't see anything resembling a filter there. I can see the lines running from the tranny all the way to the radiator. but no filter. What am I missing? Would I have to remove the battery to see it?