Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Leaking hill holder, best solution?

'85 Brat, 5-speed D/R (otherwise stock)

After a frustrating day trying to find the source of brake fluid loss (and periodic soft pedal), I traced it to the hill holder. When the clutch pedal is depressed and the brake system is pressurized, it leaks fluid like a Harley. Clutch pedal out, no leak whatsoever.

The hill holder isn't a necessity for me, so do I

A. Rebuild/replace it? Folllowup questions, how complicated is a rebuild and does anybody have a used one they're willing to part with for a reasonable price?

2. Disconnect the cable, add the return spring and hope what's left of the seal holds?

3. Bypass it completely?

Please keep in mind that I'm in the road salt belt of the Northeast, there aren't many (none) donor vehicles in the local boneyards.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

Had same issue with the 1st '86 BRAT I owned. Disconnected the cable and no more leak, never did repair the HH.

Been a few years since I read the post, but I believe it was Skip that said there is just some o-rings in the HH, and they are worn and causing the leak.

I have a couple of HH's laying around here, and no use for them. I can send 1 or 2 your way. PM me your addy.

When I first bought my Brat it was also leaking brake fluid from the hill holder. But since the brake lines run through it, even disconnecting the spring didn't work. I just ended up replacing it with the one from my GL10. EA82 hill holders will fit right on, just so you know.

• 2 weeks later...

I read the manual about the HH a few days ago, so my understanding

is that it works to keep the car from rolling back when you first start

the car and take your foot off the brake to the gas?

I tried it but it still seemed to roll back on my 88GL.

Where is it located, if it's disconnected it would be obvious right?