Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Which low beams are best for 2002 LEgacy GT

I've had my 2002 Legacy GT for 7 months and went thru 2 low beams (one on each side). I've used Sylvania Xtravision as replacements. Are there any better bulbs? I looked at the Silverstar and they are really expensive. How is the lighting on the regular Sylvania's? Why didn't Subaru use regular style bulbs for this car?

I don't see what the problem is, both low beams burned out, you replaced them, problem solved. Are you making sure to turn your headlights off during the day so that the daytime running lights are getting lower voltage and not wearing out the bulbs as fast? What do you mean regular style bulbs? It's a pretty common bulb used in those things.

If you bought all the bulbs from the same place, try a different supplier. If the bulbs were handled incorrectly during shipping like being banged, dropped etc. that could be a cause for premature failure.

I went through about 6 bulbs in 2 different cars within about 18 months. All bought at the same auto supply in double packs. After purchasing from a different retailer I had no problems.

Did you make sure that you never touched the glass bulb itself? Oils from you skin can cause bulbs to burnout quickly. You can clean them with isopropyl alcohol wipes before installing them.

Have you confirmed that the filaments were broken in the bulbs?

Have you checked the wires and sockets themselves?

Same thought..........never touch the bulb glass envelope when installing the new bulb. Oil from your skin causes hot spots, which burns out the bulb quicker. If touched, wipe off with a kleenex and rubbing alcohol. A lot of people don't know this. It helps the bulb manufacturers sell more replacement bulbs.

I always touch the bulbs by the socket end and wipe off the bulb before installing. Anyhow, are the generic H1's good enough? I've always used xtravision in my older Subaru's and never had any issues with longevity. I don't know if it's worth going to the Silverstars as I heard they don't really last either.