Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Power steering leak - pass side boot

Hey guys, I had the passenger side steering gear boot replaced by my mechanic about six weeks ago, he also did the driver's side CV joint at the same time. Recently I bought a newer OB (2008) which I've been driving so the '97 hasn't seen too many miles since this repair. I am keeping it though for around town duty and dirty deeds (like hauling bags of compost, etc).

We were going out the other night and didn't want to park the new one at the rail station, so we started driving the '97 but immediately knew something was up, there was some whining / grinding from the engine bay and the steering felt heavy. We turned around after 1/2 block and parked it.

In looking at it this weekend, it had lost a lot of power steering fluid and it looks like it's just coming from the passenger side steering gear boot. There was no retaining clamp or band on the boot's large side. I used a cable tie as a temporary fix and have simple greened and sprayed off the engine and exhaust as best I can so the burning fluid smell is much better.

I'm going to call the mechanic since he was just in there recently, but my question is about the function of that band and boot. Do these actually "hold in" the fluid, or are they more of a dust boot to keep contamination out? If it's just a dust boot, then I must have a leak in the rack somewhere and putting the cable tie on is just a very minor band aid which will still allow fluid to leak, correct? Any info you can give would be appreciated, thanks!

the boot is there hot keep dust off of the inner tie rod, which rides along a seal. the seal leaks, and the boot fills with fluid.

the leak can be caused by contaminants, age, heat, or the wrong fluids.

the subaru uses regular old dextron II/III ATF for the power stering and NOT the gm/chrysler celar stuff. anyone who is using the wrong fluid should not be working on your car, since it is generally knowledgeable by most mechanics that japanese cars usually use ATF for the steering fluid.

Thanks for the good info!

I'll call him tomorrow to see what he says... when I had it in last month he replaced the boot, maybe since it was torn it let some junk in and that led to the seal failing? I hope he didn't just slap a new boot on there when it really needed work on the rack, but I doubt it, I don't think he would.

Probably the old OB is jealous of the new one and needed some attention.

Thanks again, I'll update this thread when I find out more.

I called the mechanic and he wants to take a look at, which is fine, I wouldn't expect much over the phone. He did of course say that putting a new boot on wouldn't have caused the leaking problem.

I did ask about the fluid, and he said you can use either ATF or PS fluid, it doesn't matter. Based on MilesFox's comment above, do I need to find a new mechanic? :-\

The PS reservoir on my 96 Outback says Use Dexron right next to the cap. I'm no car expert, but I figure you can't get too off track using what the mfg says to. I think one of the many previous owners used something else, but it was practically empty so I just put the Dexron in until it was at the right point on the dip stick. Plus, it was super cold and snowing and I didn't want to be outside any longer than necessary.

Update.

I haven't brought it into the mechanic, but I called around to other shops and I was quoted anywhere from $420 (guy doing it in his own garage) to $930 (dealer) for parts and labor for installing a new steering rack.

The PS reservoir had a layer of grime on the top that obscured the fluid recommendation label, so I cleaned that off to remind myself and anyone else working on the car.

I pulled out about 14 oz of fluid from the PS reservoir (the most I could get with a turkey baster), added 14 oz of Dex III back into it, and drove it around for a while. I figured this would reduce the amount of "power steering" fluid relative to Dex III, although I don't know how much non ATF was added.

Then, I pulled out 12 oz of fluid from the reservoir and added a 12oz bottle of Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak to see if that helps. I'll drive it some more and see if the leak gets better.

I get good used rack's with warantee for about $50 to $75..... it's about 3 to 4 hours labor to swap one out.... I charge about $40 an hour so figure another $160 and then you need an alignment which is about $75. So worst case from me would be around $300 to $350. A new rack from Subaru would increase the price by a LOT. I don't trust the "rebuilt" racks you can order through the aftermarket. They almost never fail anyhow so a good used one with good, dry boots is usually the best bet.

GD