Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1) Simplest way is to open your hood and look at the black plastic timing belt covers on the front of the engine. If it's got two lobes on each side, one stacked over the other, it's DOHC. One lobe on each side means SOHC. I'm guessing yours should be SOHC.

2) Where are you buying your parts, an automotive chain store? I'd strongly suggest you NOT use aftermarket wires--go to Subaru and get OEM wires! And use NGK plugs, you can buy those anywhere.

Good luck.

thanks! You are correct, it's a SOHC. As for the wires, I usually buy Bosch and plugs are usually Autolite. What do you think of my choices? I'm a General Contractor who does remodeling. I can usually swap things out OK, but diagnosing is quite different.

General concensus here on the board--by members who are far better mechanics than me--is OEM wires & NGK plugs only. I've stuck with that over the years and have always had excellent results.

Not saying you're definitely going to have problems with aftermarket. But my philosophy is "why chance it?"

not to step on any toes or ruffle anyones feathers , but these SUBARU's are not as finicky and frail as alot of members seem to think. i'm not running oem plugs , wires , head gaskets or t'stat and everything seems great. my 97 obw runs like a top. i mean , if you want to run oem , that's great but i really don't think it's a necessity. by the way , it has a lot of miles on it with all of these non-oem parts, so i don't feel it's just a matter of time before my after market parts start mucking up. curtis

There are plenty of these cars running around with after market plugs and wires on them. Some people just get the bad apple and have problems with the after market parts. Generally, your better quality parts will work better and last longer. Bosch wires should be fine. I use Autolites in my truck, they seem to work fine for the old dog. There's not much that can go wrong with your run of the mill copper plug.

You do want to at least match the type of plug with the manufacturers OE plug type though. If your owners manual specifies platinum plugs, get platinums.

Random fact:

Last summer when I was changing the plugs and wires on my RS. I had bought the OEM plugs but the wires would not be in till that Monday. So, saturday I decided that I can go ahead and change the plugs and do the wires on that Monday. Well, the wire breaks off on the plug leaving me in a bad spot and not having a car at the time. Well, I call the AutoZone to get some wires and had my dad pick them up for me. The wires were FHI wires with the emblem imprinted on them but in a Duralast box. Compared them to my Subaru ones and they were exactly the same.

Just a thought.

Random fact:

Last summer when I was changing the plugs and wires on my RS. I had bought the OEM plugs but the wires would not be in till that Monday. So, saturday I decided that I can go ahead and change the plugs and do the wires on that Monday. Well, the wire breaks off on the plug leaving me in a bad spot and not having a car at the time. Well, I call the AutoZone to get some wires and had my dad pick them up for me. The wires were FHI wires with the emblem imprinted on them but in a Duralast box. Compared them to my Subaru ones and they were exactly the same.

Just a thought.

Hmm. Have to keep that in mind.

I've had the ends pull out of plug wires before. I just cram the wire back on and put some tape to hold it in place until I can get replacements. Has always worked fine for me. Never done that with a wasted spark ignition though.