Ultimate Subaru Message Board

a member here had his replaced and the dealer did all the labor for free, he paid for parts. you could find his thread, it was in the past couple of days. that's heard of before and can be found in other threads.

you may want to edit your title to indicate out of warranty repairs since it seems like that's what you're after.

How old? How many miles? Did you buy the car new from the dealer you plan on approaching?

The dealer is more likely to comp you some labor if you are a regular customer of theirs. It has to be in their interest.

At this point all the one's with major head gasket issues ('96 to '99 EJ25D, and '99 to '04 251/253) are getting so old that it's doubtfull they will do anything for you unless you have some kind of extended power-train warrantee.

The head gaskets are not that bad to do. Even if you have to rent a hoist to pull the engine. It's a weekend and you'll save $1000 easily. To me that's worth it and if your time is more valuable than $1000 I would say just buy something new with a warantee.

That's how I see it - there's plenty of members here that can and will help or do it for dramatically cheaper than the dealer and probably do a better job - Subaru makes them do the HG's in the car which is not ideal.

GD