Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Calling all drivetrain experts

Hi all

Wonder if anyone has any thoughts on a problem that has got me a little stumped. I have a 1996 Impreza 1.8 EJ18, brought new with 70K on the clock.

Recently started emitting a clunking sound when turning right if under load, taking off uphill while turning right produces the most noise. I would have put money on it being a CV Joint, so I duly purchased and replaced both only to find the clunking still there. The noise sounds like it is coming from the front left hand side, its a RH drive version if that matters.

How do I find out the exact month of manufacture as it appears there is some difference between the replacements front axles on this model, it looks like it comes down to whether you replace the whole axle or whether you replace each end. Can the inside joint wear to the extent that it will produce a clunking sound.

Any feedback appreciated.

Sounds to me like your big control arm bushing is bad. That is the big bushing at the rear of control arm. It is bolted to bottom of car with two large bolts right close to the front of front doors.

You can tell if it is bad because grease will leak out when it is bad. It will clunk when you make sharp turns from a stop.

Subaru axles rarely fail unless the boots are ripped and the joints get full of rocks/debris from the road. If you bought cheap axles the replacement may be faulty.

Check all the bushings and joints on the front end for play. As TC suggested the control arm bushing will clunk if it goes bad. There will be grey grease all over the bushing if it is bad.

I checked that bushing and sure enough grease all over the place, who would have thought that a dodgy bush would sound like that, now to find a replacement.

Any ideas on finding out the actual manufacture date of this car from the VIN number, I know I bought it in 1996 and assume it is a 96 model, but would like to make sure, I've been looking at the opposedforces website for parts but the dates are a bit misleading.

Look on the door or door jam and you will find the sticker that has the date it was made on it. It will say something like "date of manufacture" or something like that and then the date like 10/95. Normally later months are the next years model.

95s had the sticker on the door post between the front and rear doors.

95s i don't really know probably the same as 95 but maybe 97.

97s they put it on the bottom of the drivers door. yes you have to lie on your back to read it and then if you wear reading glasses you will probably won't be able to see it, too close.

98s i don't really know, probably the same as 97.

the opposed forces website uses build dates i think.

Hi all

Wonder if anyone has any thoughts on a problem that has got me a little stumped. I have a 1996 Impreza 1.8 EJ18, brought new with 70K on the clock.

Recently started emitting a clunking sound when turning right if under load, taking off uphill while turning right produces the most noise. I would have put money on it being a CV Joint, so I duly purchased and replaced both only to find the clunking still there. The noise sounds like it is coming from the front left hand side, its a RH drive version if that matters.

How do I find out the exact month of manufacture as it appears there is some difference between the replacements front axles on this model, it looks like it comes down to whether you replace the whole axle or whether you replace each end. Can the inside joint wear to the extent that it will produce a clunking sound.

Any feedback appreciated.

At this low mialage it can be anything, but it sounds like a suspension bushing or sway bar issue. Gp over the car, all the rubber parts. Age is just as bad as milege and maint should be done by the calender on this car.

Thanks for the pointers, I have checked door posts and doors but no labels telling manufactur date. I see one that has wheel sizes and recommended air pressure etc on the drivers side door post.

Don't know if it makes a difference but this vehicle originated in UK.

No it does not. For now forget the door tag it has no bearing on the issue at hand. What does is that the tires need to be the same size and brand, and equally worn 1/4 inch circumfrence is the max differential between tires.

Hi Nipper

I think I have enough to go on with identifying the clunking noise, the bush that tcspeer suggested certainly looks to be shot given the amount of grease around it, the one on the right hand side is fine, I am currently looking for a supplier that will deliver via DHL to the Falklands, that is usually the hardest part of sourcing parts.

I was interested in the date of manufacture to make sure I got the right part number when asking for pricing. The option of returning wrong parts is an expense in itself that I would rather not have to do.

Tyres are all the same brand and are regularly rotated to equalize wear, so i don't think that is contributing to the problem, like you say age is probabaly the cause, although wear and tear here is harder on most vehicles, given that 90% of the roads are unsurfaced, and one of my more frequent trips is 70 odd miles all unsurfaced and some off road to my folks farm.

The Falklands probably have one of the highest ratios of Land Rovers to people in the world for the reasons above, I just like to be a little different.:)

Thanks

F419C, The road surface you speak of is most likely the cause of that bushing going bad. My Subaru is also a right hand drive and is used to deliver mail here in the U.S. The right side of my Subaru spends most of the time off of the payment while the left is on the payment so changing that front right bushing is very common for me, probably 3 times already.

Those bushing are around 70.00 dollars U.S. money. they look the same but the left and right side will not interchange.