Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OK so i have a friends 99 OBW (5speed /2.5dohc)in the shop. Here is the issue:

When warmed up (10 min) the car starts cutting out on several cylinders.

I pulled wires off while running and all seemed to cut out evenly.

I have replaced/swapped

ecu, maf, whole manifold with sensors etc, fuel pump, cam sensor,wires, plugs and o2 sensor.

None of these have fixed/changed the issue.

The only CEL I get is a cam sensor code even after I have changed it 3 times.

I get cylinder missfire codes when I am unplugging the wires.

I have also found found evidence of mice taking up residence.

So any thoughts or things to look for. I have a scanner that can read live data.

Thanks

Mice being the ratty vermin they are play havoc with engines. That is why you are going tornado. They don't make sense what they do in an engine bay.

Anyway they may have peed upside down under the conns of the main fusebox. Some other ratty stuff which occurs is their piss foments corrosion of any contact. This means you need search for good grounds and clean at least one of them to engine.

Edited by Fuzpile

If timing is off, it may be what is causing your CAM code....and when the engine is cold it may run well enough to mask the timing issue, when it tries to lean out upon coming up to temp (based on coolant temp sensor) it may then report itself as a miss cutting out.. Timing is a good place to start.you have a interference motor, so this needs to be verified by someone who knows what they are doing.

Also, mice may have chewed into the cam sensor wiring...little rats is all..maybe get a snake for your car...unless one has already taken up resident for the free mice meal...

If you keep getting the code for cam sensor after replacing it three times, maybe the mice you speak of have damaged that wire somewhere further back. I am assuming the wires you changed were the plug wires.

We had damaged done to some of our cars from mice, Someone told us to quit feeding the birds and the mice would leave. The bird feeders came down and the mice problem left.

Edited by tcspeer