Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is there a pictorial walk-through for this?

I just picked up a new (to me) 4eat from a '93 Legacy LS AWD to put into my '93 Legacy L AWD. I've done dozens of motor swaps in my day (when you own first-gen Mazda RX-7's, it's almost second nature like rotating the tires ;) ), and a handful of tranny swaps. Never on an AWD, and never on a Subaru.

I've spent the last 3 1/2 hours searching here, legacycentral, and NASIOC... I can't seem to find a pictorial write-up about it.

Any help?

Thanks in advance!

--Evan

Next time I pull the engine out of my stupid car maybe I'll take pictures of it... It's been twice already, but there isn't much to really show. You just unbolt everything and it comes out.

But you were asking about tranny... right? I think I'm going to take pics of that when I drop my auto to swap it for a stick.

Its like pulling any other RWD automatic transmission except the front axles. You'll have to tap the roll pins out that hold the axles onto the transmission and undo the front struts to get them to pull out far enough to come off the transmission. Then its driveline, cooler lines, wiring harness, shift cable, torque converter bolts (which are accessible through the starter hole so you'll need to remove that), bellhousing bolts and transmission crossmember. There's going to be a few small items you'll realize that need to come off (like the pitch stopper) but its fairly easy to do. I would highly recommend a friend to help get the transmission out and in because the 4EATs are heeeeeeeeaavy!

Its like pulling any other RWD automatic transmission except the front axles. You'll have to tap the roll pins out that hold the axles onto the transmission and undo the front struts to get them to pull out far enough to come off the transmission. Then its driveline, cooler lines, wiring harness, shift cable, torque converter bolts (which are accessible through the starter hole so you'll need to remove that), bellhousing bolts and transmission crossmember. There's going to be a few small items you'll realize that need to come off (like the pitch stopper) but its fairly easy to do. I would highly recommend a friend to help get the transmission out and in because the 4EATs are heeeeeeeeaavy!

The torque converter bolts cannot be accessed through the starter hole. You have to get them through the access hole on the passenger side of the engine bell housing. It's sort of under the intake manifold, real pain in the butt. But not horrible, there's only 4 of them. The first one will take you a while to figure out, but after a few engine pulls on an auto I can get them all out in <15 mins.