Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i have no check engine light that comes on when the key is turned on. possibly a burned out bulb i thought. but then when i looked at the fsm diagrams it shows the check engine light is somehow wired to the tachometer? so is it just my bulb burned out or could there be another problem?

how long have you had the car? if new to you , the seller probably removed the bulb to sell the car.

does it run? drive it to a parts store and have the codes read. there may be none, but you don't know until you have them read.

or remove the instrument cluster and swap a bulb in from another position just to see if it is on.

i've had the car a long time. probably since 2005. 2006. it has went out. but i talked to a guy today who siad if the computer finds a failure the light will go out. unless he was reading from a 88 book. i can't remember now. that was only an hour ago though. i have soem other test to perform. i will update as i find out if its just the bulb or the ecm.

the car will not start. isnt there a plug to plug together to blink the codes. if the light works? or if the ecm is dead will it turn off the light? i have tried plugging in the two black plugs on th eright side of column. and tunr the key on. i get nothing. i tried the two green ones on the left side of the column and turn the key on and i get nothing.

the car will not start. isnt there a plug to plug together to blink the codes. if the light works? or if the ecm is dead will it turn off the light? i have tried plugging in the two black plugs on th eright side of column. and tunr the key on. i get nothing. i tried the two green ones on the left side of the column and turn the key on and i get nothing.

You aren't listening... When the key is in the on position all the warning lights should come on for a light check to make sure they're working. Every car does this. It's how you tell all the lights are working. You don't have to plug anything together to tell if the lights are working..

no you are not understanding what i am saying. if the bulb is dead it is dead. i want to check the codes doing the u check. i cant do a d check or hook up a code reader i dont have one and no one around here has one for this car. so a u check is what i would like to do. every other light on the dash comes on when they key is turned on. oil airbag the door open light. but no check engine light. the two green plugs have something to do with checking the engine systems or codes. i do know that much.

the book says to either unplug or plug in. the connector to get the light to flash to give out the code 11 12 so on. it depends on which book you read. i know the light is suppose to come on. it is probably burnt out. it worked a few days ago. so the answer is pretty obivous if the ecu doenst turn it off.