Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1988 Subaru GL-10 turbo wagon like new; HQ pics

everything is finished. i have done the complete overhaul, replaced all the bearings, rings, gaskets, seals and hoses. i have bought a bearing kit for the turbo and rebuilt that too. the interior is looking brand new, like always. the only thing left is im gonna replace all lifters on the right(Passenger side) of the engine cause the blasted thing still clacks a little, but not very loud, you dont even really notice it till you open the hood.

lets see, i think i have to post a question. aww, here's one. um, what type of oil should i use in my car? i heard Valvoline, but should i use conventional or synthetic??? right now im running Valvoline 10w-40 premium conventional oil.

Edited by soobie_newbie67

everything is finished. i have done the complete overhaul, replaced all the bearings, rings, gaskets, seals and hoses. i have bought a bearing kit for the turbo and rebuilt that too. the interior is looking brand new, like always. the only thing left is im gonna replace all lifters on the right(Passenger side) of the engine cause the blasted thing still clacks a little, but not very loud, you dont even really notice it till you open the hood.

lets see, i think i have to post a question. aww, here's one. um, what type of oil should i use in my car? i heard Valvoline, but should i use conventional or synthetic??? right now im running Valvoline 10w-40 premium conventional oil.

I'm not sure the brand really matters. 10w-40 sounds right unless it gets below 0 degrees in the winter where you are. Try to think of what brands of motor oil were available when your car was new. Whatever was considered good for the engine then should be good for it now. Oil is oil, pretty much. As long as you can keep contaminants out of it and it gets changed when it's time, I'd guess that just about any brand would do.

I'm old, and I've never heard a single person complain about any brand of motor oil :-)

Be preapred for some sticker shock - motor oil has shot up in price right along with gas prices. So buy what you can afford at a reputable place (I like Walmart as a best-price place, if they extend to where you are) and I'm using Walmart's brand. Walmart doesn't make oil, they subcontract it to a provider and slap their brand on it. One ofthe best old Sube mechanics I've ever seen just a did an oil change for me and he was fine with it.

Please post lots of photos of your newly refurbished girl (all old Subes are girls - grand old girls).

heres a pic of my car.

windowpictures041.jpg

windowpictures042.jpg

windowpictures043.jpg

the only damage on the whole car:

windowpictures044.jpg

windowpictures045.jpg

windowpictures046.jpg

i used some skateboard grip tape one the clutch and brake pedal:

windowpictures047.jpg

cross drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic brake pads. this is just the rear, the company i bought from sent me the wrong front ones so they are not on yet.

windowpictures048.jpg

Edited by soobie_newbie67

its there, didnt you see?? its just faded cause the car is 24 years old.

Oh, I see it now. Was it originally red?

Mine that said 4WD was originally red and it had faded & peeled so much it was nearly invisible. I managed to get my hands on an original factory one in mint condition and had it put on.

Oh, I see it now. Was it originally red?

Mine that said 4WD was originally red and it had faded & peeled so much it was nearly invisible. I managed to get my hands on an original factory one in mint condition and had it put on.

well, she's getting repainted this summer. (original color of course) im debating weather or not to replace the decals or eliminate them. i was thinking of eliminating them and having just a paint job, nothing fancy.

well, she's getting repainted this summer. (original color of course) im debating weather or not to replace the decals or eliminate them. i was thinking of eliminating them and having just a paint job, nothing fancy.

I just happen to have a spare 4WDTURBO mint decal.

• 3 years later...

I should and also take the locking diff out of it. Lots of good parts out there and its basically a dudes collection. If i really tried (and i had room) i'd buy all of them and bring em home, he actually let me look around.

Awesome looking GL-10!  I'd trade my low miles 88 3 door for even a DL wagon in half that condition :)

Scooner, shoot me a PM if he decides to sell anything parts wise.  I'm in the market for a rear disc setup ASAP and would almost trade my left (castle) nut for one :P  Hell, you are close enough, I'd be willing to drive out one weekend and pull it myself and put it on right there...

l75eya, I was wondering the same thing.  Looks kind of like an old school trip computer?

• Like 1