Ultimate Subaru Message Board

exhaust smell

Hi Everyone,

I getting a lot of exhaust smell in my 88 gl wagon.

If I have the fan on and am sitting at a light or just idling, I get an exhaust smell in the cabin. If I hit the recirc air button, there is less smell. If I am driving at speed there is no problem.

Does the cabin air come from the grilles below the windshield? Are there any other points of entry for the air? somewhere that the exhaust may be entering?

I have added weatherstripping to the underside of the hood to try to help the seal that is already there.

I have to get this figured out quick as I am getting stupider evry tiim I driv this kar.

Thanks

Marko

if you have rust holes in the back, air will draft in from the rear of the car and out of the front windows if they are down. Same for dusty dirt roads. The best thing is fan on full and all windows up, fresh air from outside.

Do you have an exhaust leak? sometimes subaru mufflers settle and the tailpipe melts against the bumper. or you have an exhaust leak at the muffler flange or seam.

yes on the vapor canister.

yes on the rusted out.

yes on the exhaust leak.

The car used to stink of PCV gas but I think I've taken care of that.

The exhaust broke downstream of the catalytic converter and I repaired it. (hackjob) Now I think because it is a jacketed pipe the exhaust is getting between the inner and the outer pipe and making it up into the engine bay perhaps. I only had pipe matching the outer pipe's diameter. Then I stored it for like 4 years.

I honestly did not think I'd be using this car after that but my commute and conditions at my new job require it.

I had hoped there was a VERY easy fix to this because I don't want to put another dime into this rustbucket. (other than gas)

I'm looking for a body to put all my guts into.

Thanks for the tips!

Vapor canisters eventually quit doing their job. I found this out after smelling excessive exhaust fumes for quite a while and putting a new canister in. Made all the difference.

Those canisters are not cheap! And now I have one that I bought new and barely used because I switched to a Weber carb and the emission stuff had to come off.