Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Radiator leak from cap

Hello, 87 gl10 ea82t. It seems to be overflowing a small amount out of the cap, is it possible I overfilled the radiator or overflow tank? gauge reads at about half temp and no higher at running temp. I noticed that the hoses on the radiator (top and bottom) seem to have a fair amount of pressure when I poked at them, is this normal? Thanks

replace the cap. the rubber part is probably degenerated, or the spring is weak. Its possible the rad itself is bent where the cap seats.

Try replacing the cap first.

if it persists, check for bubbles in the radiator when the car is running, as this may be the beginning of a HG failure

On my short drive today I got the temp gauge to half way and got home and checked the radiator and cap, the top hose was pretty pressurized and warm, the cap was leaking slightly but cold to the touch, I went to take it off slowly and it coughed out some coolant as I was turning it so I didn't take it off all the way. Do I have some sort of blockage or over pressurization seeing the pressure is there and the rad cap is still cold? Hmm thanks

It doesn't sound at all like the tstat isn't working. i would agree that it isn't open, but if the car isn't overheating, I'm betting the short drive was short enough that it hasn't needed to open yet.

The system should pressurize. Your description of the hoses and such sound 100% normal.

The cap should not leak, however. Replace it. If that doesn't solve it, the flange might be damaged, as Miles said.

Alright, I got a new radiator cap and put in a new thermostat and got it all back together but ran out of daylight to hopefully burp the radiator.

When I was working on it today the very top of the thermostat housing separated a little bit. ( the female end of the connection ) I could peak in there and see the two wires in there. It seemed to clip back into place. Is it broken or will it be ok clipped back together?

Thank you all for you help so far it's greatly appreciated!! -matt

I got the engine warmed up the thermostat opened and got quite a few burps / bubbles out and topped it off with 50/50. Drove it and it was getting to hot for my liking so brought it home and I guess it burped more so I topped it off again and noticed that my electric thermoswitched fan wasn't coming on so I just hardwired it to a keyed positive and bam nice running temp! One thing I noticed is that when I turn on the heater/blower fan switch it goes up one temp bar within 10 seconds and same when switched off? Hmm?

Edited by Matthewboerner