Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New here, Need input. Wiper issues?

Hi all,

I just bought a '87 4wd gl wagon with 112k on it. I quickly found the rear passenger side spindle nut was loose so I tightened it up to approx 160-170 ft-lbs (higher to get cotter pin to line up) and it seems to be holding tight. Although I think I may pull the washer back off and make sure the flat washer is on the right way. But the cone washer does not look as good as the others because its slightly peened/galled probably from old owner driving on it a bit loose. But I will say the splines look great in the hub and shaft so it must not have been loose too long. Can I buy a new cone washer and flat washer and install them on an old hub?

I replaced the pass side ball joint and re-greased and replaced boots on the cv shaft.

But I have a wiper problem. When cold the wipers don't work at all. once the day warms up the wipers all of the sudden start working, sort of. They work on lo and hi but nothing happens in the intermittent setting. Also if they are on lo or hi and you turn them off they stop were they lye instead of returning to "home" or "parking" as some have called it on this forum. After reading the posts and responses I quickly took off the cover for the motor gear box and inspected cleaned and re-greased the gear and the contacts. Nothing seemed bent or tweaked and the contacts didn't look all that corroded, the grease was pretty stiff though. After cleaning up I re-assembly I tested them and the results were the same. I read on here that the intermittent and "park" are two separate control systems, so before I start stabbing wires with a multimeter or replacing components I though I would try asking you guys. Any ideas?

Last is a heater control issue when I try to switch the heater from bi-level to heat it doesn't redirect air to just the floor vents. I have not messed with these "vacuum" solenoids before and wondered is this problem is more likely a vacuum supply problem a faulty solenoid, a stuck door or an electrical problem in the heater control switch?

One last general question. Are these EA82 engines really that prone to lots of oil leaks or do they just have a bad rap.

Thanks.

Sorry for the problem dump.

Try napa or carquest for the washer/cone

Its not a suub, but my jeep had a similair problem and it was a leak in the windshield that was allowing water to get to the intermittent control module. They go by different names on different cars, but I'd take a look at that, especially if hi/lo works, but intermittent doesn't.

Your heater problems are probably due to a vacuum leak in one of the lines. The vacuum setup for the HVAC on these rigs isn't to complicated. There is a black vacuum connector on the side of your right lower leg, might want to check that. Getting to the back of the heater control isn't to hard, just take you time and don't throw any tantrums and tear it off with your bare hands, like I did the first time. You can then use a vacuum pump/brake bleeder to individually activate and diagnose each vacuum solenoid. I've never heard of a bad vacuum solenoid, but it could happen.

Yes, they're great leakers. If your motor leaks less than your power steering, your doing OK.

Welcome to the Forum!:banana:

th4e vacuum canister is supplied by a skinny hose along the passenger strut tower, and plugs into the intake. the hose is adapted from one size at the intake to skinnier to the vac can. it's easy to knock this hose loose and not know it. you shoyld find a loose hose under the hood

Thanks for all the advice. I read another thread yesterday I had originally missed that described my problem to the key on the wipers. This owner had a bad wiper control module. But as cougar said I will check the voltage to the park contacts. Are both the "leaf" contacts for the park mode? Do they both get + battery voltage to them?

In regards to my heater floor control: All my other modes work fine, I can switch to Defrost and the AC comes on as it should. The AC works and directs air to just the dash vents, and Bi-level and off work. Its just when I switch it to Heat it doesn't redirect the air all the way to the floor. I will say while paying attention to it I have only tried to go from the bi-level to the floor and it did not change the air distribution between dash vents and floor ones.

thanks again!

I had intermittent intermittent wipers - they would stutter across the windshield, 2-3 stops per cycle. It turns out the connector to the wiper motor was bad. I tweaked the contacts in the plug, to make the spade connectors a tighter fit, and it works like a champ now. Good luck!

Clean the plug to the wiper. I had this on the justy and it was a poor ground from the motor to the car body. This happening when it is cold more then hot tells me that it could be the contacts in the wiper motor are worn. Contacts shrink in the cold and expand when warmer.