Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch kit for EJ22 Swap??

robcor2

okay I have hopefully made arrangements to get an adapter kit for the swap (waiting for info from Gloyale). It is being done to XT6 specs (recommended). Now with that said, what clutch kit do I need? What is the difference between XT and XT6. Any money I can save is good, but with all invested in the swap can't afford to not put in what is needed. Peoples opinions on the various clutch kits available.

The only way you will get a *true* XT6 pressure plate is to buy it at the dealer. All the aftermarket one's are just EA82 clutch kits with the same pressure plate, etc (cross-reference the part numbers if you like - I already did). Unfortunately the OEM one's are about $160 for *just* the pressure plate.... but you can't beat them for holding power.

GD

The only way you will get a *true* XT6 pressure plate is to buy it at the dealer. All the aftermarket one's are just EA82 clutch kits with the same pressure plate, etc (cross-reference the part numbers if you like - I already did). Unfortunately the OEM one's are about $160 for *just* the pressure plate.... but you can't beat them for holding power.

GD

Thanks.....so it sounds like unless I really want to step up in costs....there is basically no difference. Really good to know. So if I go the cheap route....its all the same except for price. Right?

use the clutch and flywheel for the trans you are using. the xt6 flywheel is lighter, and the PP is stronger, but ther than that, the disc is the same, and everything else fits any other ea82 the same

Thanks Miles for breaking it down for me.....probably just gonna go with the one I have got then....It has several thousand miles on it before needing to be replaced. I am already dumping way more money into this car than I intended.

if you drive it hard at all you will need that xt6 pressure plate. just because the discs are the same dont mean nothing. The regular plate is very weak and does not put nowhere near enough pressure on the disc. You will fry your clutch. IMHO.

An XT6 pressure plate is definitely on the list when this one wears out, we will replace both clutch and pressure plate. I have this project going on and trying to save money to convert my legacy to an H6 before the end of fall. So, saving money where I can in the short term, is what I got to do.

Is there a step difference between the XT-6 and the normal EA-82 flywheel?

You could get the best of both worlds, a heavy flywheel, which will help keep the big tires spinning, and the holding power of the XT-6.

I too had holding issues with the EA-82 clutch in my EJ swap, but it only manifested itself if I was pulling someone or really going crazy in deep mud.

The frankenmotor brat had a genuine Subaru XT6 clutch plate and about 190 HP going into a standard 5 speed D/R and never had any issues. As i said you won't get a true XT6 plate unless you get it from the dealer. The aftermarket are just EA82 plates and they suck.

GD

Yeah......gonna replace this one with true XT6 and spend the money. Just gotta wait until funds appear. Gonna go easy on the clutch til I can afford it. Thanks GD!

Super excited. gonna pick up an adapter here in OR. Thanks for checking on pricing Scott. Really tight funds and went with one a little cheaper from HighGuys. Looking forward to the next step in the process. Motor is ready to install!