Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What happened? *Coolant Blowout*

My EA81 just suffered a massive coolant blow out while idling (fully heated up) in the driveway.

The Sundrame brand 2 core radiator that's installed blew its wad, steaming like Old Faithful thru the remains of a plastic bit (?) that is threaded (I think) into the inlet tank on the passenger side. I don't know what this plastic plug is, and didn't even notice it 3 years ago when I got the radiator from 1800RADIATOR. It is located on the passenger side, on outside of the inlet tank between the fan switch and the top (inlet) hose. My stock rad doesn't have any thing like that. A port for an oil or tranny cooler?

This is a little bizarre to me. I had put in a new thermostat gasket earlier in the day. That is fine, no leaks there. Funny tho after 3 years a radiator blow out after some coolant work. Coincidence? Anybody got any ideas? Cheers.

Its dark now but tomorrow I can pull it and get a better look and let you know what I come up with.

Edited by RedRat

The t-stat gasket had a slow leak. Been that way for a while and finally decided to fix it.

As far as a drain plug, this thing is located halfway down the radiator, which would be a funny place to put a second drain plug. There is a drain plug, and its not leaking.

you were messing with a thermo gasket, and then when you then refilled the radiator, and didnt burp air out, something had to blow.

A combination of a defective radiator too could be part to blame, not just a air pocket.

Burp the car, with heat temp knob on hottest, and raise the front of the car more than the rear to get the radiator as high in the air to let out air. Too lat now, but for next time.

If you did everything right, i lean towards chinese made part quality.

Edited by bheinen74

My EA81 just suffered a massive coolant blow out while idling (fully heated up) in the driveway.

The Sundrame brand 2 core radiator that's installed blew its wad, steaming like Old Faithful thru the remains of a plastic bit (?) that is threaded (I think) into the inlet tank on the passenger side. I don't know what this plastic plug is, and didn't even notice it 3 years ago when I got the radiator from 1800RADIATOR.

I had put in a new thermostat gasket earlier in the day. Funny tho after 3 years a radiator blow out after some coolant work. Coincidence? Anybody got any ideas? Cheers.

Its dark now but tomorrow I can pull it and get a better look and let you know what I come up with.

Hey,

Some thoughts, hth. That rad appears to be Indian. Look where you last worked. The gasket. I would think you didn't get it bled right, too.

Are the tanks plastic? I've had them blow out before. Situations where a brass/copper wouldn't.

Doug

You're right. I neglected to burp the system :rolleyes:. Poor sube was like a seagull full of alka seltzer.

The blow out point was at a plug for a sensor unit. After clearing the remains of the plug from the threaded insert, I picked up an old defunct sensor from god knows what at the rad shop and in it went.

Filled and BURPED, good to go.