Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need opions on potential purchase

I made an offer for $850 for the car below, it's an hour away from me (offer assumes it's as clean as he says it is). The 5 speed is a big plus for me.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/2342838881.html

It is a 2.5 quad cam motor and it won't run. Talked to the guy and he said it has spark and it's getting gas. Any ideas on what the issue could be before I commit, sounds like he may accept my offer?

I made an offer for $850 for the car below, it's an hour away from me (offer assumes it's as clean as he says it is). The 5 speed is a big plus for me.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/2342838881.html

It is a 2.5 quad cam motor and it won't run. Talked to the guy and he said it has spark and it's getting gas. Any ideas on what the issue could be before I commit, sounds like he may accept my offer?

timing belt not on correctly, used the wrong timing marks.

did it ever run after the gaskets were done or is this a ''i put it back together and it will not run''. if yes, it could be simple.

but it could be almost any thing.

more info, please.

probably timing belt or something simple.

If he used OEM Subaru headgasket with receipts to prov it, I would say go for it.

If seller used some discount store Head gaskets, i would stay away, cause they are never going to last and you will be doing the job all over again.

I'd guess it's timed wrong.

5 speed with 200k on it is probably going to have a fair amount of wear. (worn synchros and main shaft bearings)

If they did the clutch when the engine was replaced, that will probably wear out soon too. Probably worth it to ask how old the clutch is.

850 sounds like a decent deal. Assuming the valves aren't hosed, you should have it driving again for practically nothing. Gonna be an expensive tow bill to get it home though.

i'd like to know that subaru headgaskets were used. replaced the head bolts? you never replace head bolts in subarus unless you don't know what you're doing. hopefully that's not indicative of his approach to the rest of the job.

rust is huge for me, no rust = good deal. rust = bad deal. i don't want simple jobs to turn into 6 hour part replacing nightmares.

no start after having the engine apart could be anything but i'd assume it's something simple like a wire not reconnected (ground wire, starter wire, alt, etc), timing, or vacuum hose.

^

tow bill?

:grin:

Tow bar. I have one

Tim hansen pointed this car my way. I was assuming maybe a work ignition switch, no starter action. It's possible to make this car run by pokng it with a stick.

that ej22 you sold me would retrofit. Now i dont need it, since desmond agreed to sell me his parts only after i bring home a whole car and an engine.

Edited by MilesFox

Towing is not a problem, I have access to a good trailer and I have a '98 Ram Quad Cab 4x4. The car has run since doing the head gasket and cam seals job. Then it stopped running at random. I was thinking like a cam or crank sensor maybe. I haven't seen the car yet, but he said it is rust free and very clean.

Well this turned out to be a huge waste of time and gas. Got up there and the car is a mess, I asked the seller to list all of the issues for me and he omitted a ton of stuff. Broken winshield, flat tire, missing shift knob, missing wheel well splash gaurds, rear hatch didn't work, more rust that mentioned, wiring and hoses cut and missing every where. Good parts car at best, $300 tops. He's hoping to get $750 out of if, not going to happen.